1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Blower question?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by <Benchmark>, Jan 25, 2012.

1. <Benchmark>

<Benchmark> Member

OK so first off i hope i am posting this in the right spot I didnt see snow blower thread. If not Sorry. I was wondering what brand off snow blower you suggest im looking for a well built long lasting snow blower probably a 24 inch I have looked at some and most have china made engines or brigs engine but i am not a fan off either anyone now a blower that has kawi or kohler? I have never bought a snow blower before always used a shovel but some long sidewalks have me rethinking. Am i being to harsh on Brigs are they better than i think. You guys tell me! thanks again everyone

2. <Benchmark>

<Benchmark> Member

bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

If you want a long lasting commercial quality unit buy a Honda. The engines are some of the most reliable and quick starting on the market. You however will pay premium price for a premium product. For example I bought a 8 hp Ariens with a Briggs for 900.00. I also bought a 7 hp Honda for 2,500.00. The Honda is built better but you have to make the decision whether paying more than double is worth it in the long run. Both will get the job done. When I bought the Honda it was purchased as my backup for big storms where the Toro single stages would be overwhelmed. With expected more accounts this year I wanted another capable backup and bouight the Ariens and then never got the work.:cry: Such is life. I havent used the Ariens once this year.

4. <Benchmark>

<Benchmark> Member

i dont mind paying i just want something reliable. i am strong believer in buying a good piece of equipment that costs more and taking care of it rather than a few ***** ones

5. sgrenier24

sgrenier24 Junior Member

I also purchased two Honda Hs724's with tracks after destroying two big name snow blowers last year. I know they were expensive but they are almost impossible to kill. Plus the fact that they have a three year commercial warranty, in my eyes it was money well spent.

6. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

I really like the Ariens that I have. its a 24". I have heard great things about the hondas as my friend owns a few

7. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Time is not only money. Time means that some customers won't wait forever for you to get there because you have 24" machine instead of a 38" Ariens or 44" on the front of a JD lawn tractor.

Also knock Briggs engines all you want, but if you don't lug them, change the oil at the start of every season, use good gas, these engines should last.

In 1996 we bought a 24" Troy Built with a Tecumseh. Never any problems. Did two residences every year till 2007-08 seasons.

Since 2008-09 to 2010-11, three seasons, I worked up to doing 12 jobs per storm for last season. Now not much done for the 2011-2012 season now.

I have been able to do that many drives because I fell into a deal. 2003 28" sears/mtd same engine. Hardly used, looked new, $150.

That extra width helps. Also having two blowers if one goes down you can keep going. Yes I have never had to repair my engines but I have had a few newspapers jam up my machines. Did replace some shear bolts. The start of this season I replaced side runners and blade on the 1996.

Also when the shoveling is done my son the gets the second blower in use.

From what other people have said about Ariens makes it my next choice because they make a 38" blower and the premium price for a Honda is just to much to me.

8. <Benchmark>

<Benchmark> Member

Thanks for the detailed information. I think it just depends on how much money i have if i get a honda or a ariens. I think i will get a bigger one know you have a point about size

9. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Compare the Toro 721RC and the Honda HS621??? I hear a lot of talk that you just can't beat the Toro and tossing them on and off the truck is WAY better than the 2-stage. But leaving the 2-stage out of this - any experience with these?

10. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Have a chance to buy both - thats why i'm asking.

11. straightlinelan

straightlinelan Member

98% of my snow blowers are toro single stage. Love them. Easier than a 2 stage and they really handle everything Mother Nature throws at them 95% of the time with ease. Honda single stage is good. Especially the newly released model with operator controls up on the handle. Toro/Honda a few bucks more but less operator fatigue. Also easy to get parts like cutting edges, paddles, and carbs.

12. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

The company I used to work for had a Cub Cadet 3 Stage Blower, it literally ate and spit out a piece of asphalt curbing that a town plow had knocked into the snow on the sidewalk and kept on going.

13. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

I have two 2 stage blowers. An Ariens (i think with a briggs) and a craftsman, for backup. I wouldn't recommend the craftsman for anything but a back up, but did use it once when we got 17" and I was called to do some sidewalks that someone else failed to do. My complaint with it is how under powered it is, I had to go so slow. If I could do it over I probably wouldn't buy a 2 stage with less than 7-8 HP. I have shovels and single stage blowers for anything less than about 7". I also am out with the storm, so they pretty much just stay in the truck. I will say that with Ariens my "commercial" blower from a dealer is much better than what you get at home depot.

For single stage I got a deal on 2 snappers that were made in the 80s and they work as good, if not better, as my toro. The contractors I work for give me odd looks when I pull out my old snappers but the guys love 'em and they start first pull every time. For buying new, Toro and Honda are great machines. I will say the Honda seems to be more quiet than both my snappers and toro, if that matters. Another note with single stage is they move as fast as you, in the right snow. The self propelled 2 stages do not.

Depending on how much you use it, how much snow you move with it, and how big your budget is, will help make your decision. I wouldn't buy the biggest most expensive thing if I only had a few sidewalks or driveways, but I wouldn't want the smallest under powered blower if I had jobs lined up for hours when it snows.