1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow blower question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gsy, Oct 3, 2003.

1. gsy

gsy Junior Member

I stumbled across this site and hopefully an appropriate question for this forum. I have been looking for a single stage snow blower and narrowed my search down to two. I am thinking about the Honda 520 and Toro 3650. They both are the same price but I cannot seem to pull the trigger on either one. How does the 5hp honda hold up to the 6.5 toro. Does the 4 stroke produce more useable power? Am I over thinking this process and either one will work fine? So I guess I am looking for opinions or recommendations.

Thanks
    Gregg

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd say you can't go wrong with either one.Both are excellent high quality machines.I haven't used the Honda,but the Toro's have plenty of power.

3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I've never met a Honda engine yet that won't start, we have a 2-stage Honda that is about 13 years old and every winter (after proper care of course) starts on the 1st or 2nd pull of the cord, same thing with the 3 year old Honda lawnmower and the 5 year old Honda pressurewasher.

4. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I prefer a 2 stroke engine in the winter, but you may need the torque of the 4 stroke if you are looking to clear thick heavy stuff.
    Tough choice, honda and toro are both awesome. I have honda engines in most of my power equipment. I love them. I know honda is supposed to make an excellent snow thrower, but I have never used one. I can only speak from experience that Toro makes an excellent snow thrower, and that honda makes a durable quiet engine.

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

which one does your local repair shop sell
    which ever one is easier to get parts for thats the one you want

cardoctor

6. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I never own either of them, but I am thinking about purchasing the Toro 3650 snowthrower. It would be a perfect machine for doing sidewalk clearing on the go, meaning I could lift it out of tailgate and go to work, lift it back in truck bed and go to the next account.

7. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I've run the honda for 3 seasons now and it has proved to be a great investment. Light enough for one man to load without ramps yet will blast through alot of snow. I like having a 4 stroke on board for the simple fact that I only have to carry one gas can.
    Also starts first, evry time so far. It has taken a beating. I do 20 very large properties, and this unit gets used on every one.

Both blowers have great feedback and I too had a time choosing between the two, and have no regrets going with the honda.

Mark