1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow blower or plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jrmyj1, Nov 9, 2007.

1. jrmyj1

jrmyj1 Junior Member

new to plowing and have some accounts in a downtown area that are all sidewalks. not really prepared for it and need to get moving on somthing asap. not sure if i should get a lawn tractor w/ a blower on the front or a atv w/ a plow. is there a difference? thanks for the help.

jeremy j

2. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

sidewalks

We've had pretty good luck using our atv with a 5' plow (wherever possible). It's really fast and does a clean job too. :nod:

Good luck to you and your new business.

3. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

are you going to get alot of the city plows dumping that ridge on your sidewalk, cause that could be pretty hard to push with a plow, however the down side of a blower is its slower I have found.

do you already have an atv?

4. cod8825

cod8825 Member

We have close to 60,000 sq ft of sidewalks in the kansas city area and we take a snowblower, a atv w/ 5' blade and shovels and the such. My rule of thumb is if it is under 8" I and I can use an atv easily like big open runs then it is what I use. If it is tight spots I use shovels and snowblowers. I put chains on my ATV and it is weighted down with a spreader in the back and blade in front to get traction and some pushing power. One last thing if purchasing get 4WD.