1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow blower on Item 4?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Mater14, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Mater14

Mater14 Junior Member
    from NA

Hello all,

I'm a little new. I've been plowing a 460 ft. gravel roadway for about 5 yrs and it was just recently excavated and replaced with Item 4. With gravel, I kept my plow up on feet about 1 or 2 inches. As the ice got worse (poor drainage in the area), it was near impossible to pick up the ice without ruining the gravel.

Now, with Item 4, it's like flat concrete below 32 degF. Could I use a snow blower (and a lot of patience) without disturbing the item 4 and wrecking the road? Has anybody had experience with this?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Item 4, can mean a lot of things.
    what is in your case?
    class 4, pit run, crushed limestone,

And why not just keep-plowing it or do you like to snow-blow for hours.

guess different regions have different names.
    http://www.redwingsandandgravel.com/runofbank.html

3. Mater14

Mater14 Junior Member
    from NA

Item 4 that we have doesn't just vary by region, but apparently the contractor. Mine is pretty close to bank run. It's sand mixed with recycles concrete. Plowing it could be fine, but I'm concerned that the feet will leave ruts in the road. the truck has been on the fritz lately and the snow blower might be my only option.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A couple of tricks lift the plow just a little until the truck takes some of the weight, and there is also the " lawn saver" a long pipe with a slot cut in it for the edge to go into , do a search.... Until you get a nice snow packed drive then just plow it with out the shoes.

I have a 400ft drive that is all gravel, I plow it with a v plow , without any shoes
    I gust lift it a little until it is frozen

Rocks and a long drive make for a lot of snow blowing

Well good luck

5. Mater14

Mater14 Junior Member
    from NA

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I have seen the lawn saver online. I might give it a shot.