1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Blower help.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Grass?, Oct 2, 2001.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Wondering what you guys would reccomend for sidewalks/etc. now that its a law thay have to be cleared here? Have a Ariens snowblower that just recieved a new snowking engine but is way to heavy to lift on and off the truck. So is there any cheep systems to get it on and off the truck? or sould I invest in a lightweight maby Toro blower? How heavy is a decent one and how much $? BTW: I'm from Buffalo, so we get lottsa snow.

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I bought a set of aluminum folding ramps from Nothern tools, they work great, they hold up my 724 Ariens (and me without too much trouble) I think they are around 200 (don't quote me on that though).

Just went to the website and found out they are $109.99

Last edited: Oct 2, 2001
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

If you are looking for a single stage blower that you can lift in and out with one person, dont waste you money on anything but a Honda 520. It is a 4 stroke that starts 1 or 2 pull every time and will run quiet. It has plenty of power, and is bullet proof. I had several other brands of 2 stroke single stage blowers and every one of them worked great for 5 min, and then snow melted into the air intake on the carb, and then iced it up. Not fun at 3 am.
    Get the honda.
    Dino

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

www.bigladder.com
    they sell folding ramps. i use them to put a 2 stage 9 hp simplicity into the truck. works great.

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

i have had great service out of a toro ccr 2450/2500, lightweight, dont have to worry about spilling/checking the oil, you can tip it upside down and as long as the gascap is on no problem. Cant do that with the honda, sorry to say. Only complaint is the handle, its welded to the housing, if you buy a toro bend a piece of strap and use it to reinforce the handle mount or else some gorilla will break the welds on you.

6. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I uses a couple of 2X10 pressure treated board with a couple of steel brackets on one end of each board which will go on top of the truck's gate. You should be able to find it at hardware's store. Cost much less than buying aluminum ramps. Be careful to not get the ramps icy or it would be a little difficult to load up the snowblower on the truck.

7. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Stephen that problem can be solved by "painting" the treads with that duraliner stuff. I did that last year and it made the ramps much easier to handle.

8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

If you have to get the blower in and out often for alot of walks, I would go with a Toro. It will save money, and be safer. I am fearful of taking a big heavy blower off a truck on ramps when It is wet and slippery, and footing is poor. To risky for me. You can get a Toro CCR 2000 from most bigger Toro dealers in the next month or so. They are usually homeowner used, and are 7 to 10 years old. But to a commercial guy, that is more like 1 year old. They work great, have the Susukie engine (pardon my attempt at spelling), and are very similar in throwing properties as a CCR 2450. You can pick them up used for 200 to 250 depending on condition and if it has electric start. Mine have given me no problems, always start, but those welds mentioned above will fail. Support them if you can, if not you just have to replace a piece that is easy enough. buy used, and replace them imediately if that part does not look like new. Have fun

Jay

9. plowking35

from SE CT

Funny Bill
    I have never had to use my blower up side down. Must be a conn river valley thing.
    With the Honda just gas and go, no need to worry about mix either, If you have a gas powered v box, only one can will take care of both machines. the honda has more power, and is alot quieter than any 2 stroke blower. Not only that but its a honda and will last forever.
    If you do buy a 2 stroke make sure it is the suzuki, the techumseh snow king 2 strokes are junk IMO.
    FWIW the handles on the honda are not much better, we had to weld ours last year, but they see more work in one season than most home owner blowers will see in a life time.
    Dino

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Neither have I. I noticed that, esp guys with a dump truck w/ a sander in ther back, the thrower gets tossed in wherever it fits, and not necessarily handle-side-up...:eek:

11. plowking35

from SE CT

While I have never transported a blower up side down, I dont think it would do any make model or engine type any good to do so. Floats, fuel bowls, shrouding and sparkplugs would all be in harms way.
    Dino

12. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

As for loading ya can't beat a power lift gate. Allows for easy loading of even 2 stage blower. It also saves workers comp claims.

Geoff