1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Blower Engine help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NEUSWEDE, Mar 10, 2005.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I know this is about snowplowing but didn't know where else to ask but here it goes...

I just checked the oil on my snowblower and on the dipstick all the way up was white foam and when I put it back in to check again the oil at the tip had the white foam in it. What is worng?

I know from owning cars that when oil has a white foam in it it is from coolant getting into the oil but there is no coolant on a motor like this, so could it be from getting really cold than warming up and a bit of snow getting in there from being outside?
    Or could it be from the cold, I ran it last yesterday 3/9 and it ran fine just don't want this to kill me in the middle of a job.
    Any help would be appreciated, thinking I might change the oil tomorrow!
    Thanks

P.S It's an Ariens 11526 pro commercial grade with an 11.5hp Tecumseh OHV engine.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  2. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Oil change

I would definitely change the oil before it gets used again. I believe the white foam means you are getting water in the oil. When the motor runs it makes it foam mixing the water and oil. The only sources of water would be coolant (none on the snowblower) or snow/water getting in to motor somehow. You mentioned you keep it outside, so that would be where I would put my money that the problem is. I dunno if possible, but could the snow go in through the exhaust and load the motor up with snow while it is sitting outside.

Jeff

3. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I can just use 10-30 motor oil correct or should I run a different weight?
    Thanks

4. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Motor Oil weight

I would use what is recommended for that unit. I believe that smaller engines (ie. lawn mowers, etc) use 30W or ???. I think some older motors might have used heavier oil, but im not a mechanic. Just use what is suggested for that motor. If you don't have the manual, you might be able to dig around on the net for some info. Maybe the lawn guys around here, or the guys with blowers can tell you more.

Jeff

** I just checked some stock here. SAE 30 used in my lawn tracttor. 10w-30 in my pressure washer.***

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  5. ProfessionalTou

ProfessionalTou Junior Member

Probably just condensation from the engine sweating and being cold out, if you change the oil and it looks like chocolate milk. Then i might be a little concerned.If it looks like normal oil then nothing to worry about.

6. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I am gonna change it in the AM after I call the dealer and see what type of oil I should run and I have to run it to warm it up so the majority of the oil comes out. I will have it ready before the snow falls, Man I need a plow!

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Even if it IS just condensation- if there's enough to cause foaming be concerned and change the oil.

8. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I changed oil and seems to run smoother and the white foam is gone. I am gonna keep my eye on it. Only has like 15 hours on it so I don't want to ruin it already!
    Thanks for your help.