1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow blower engine govoner problem

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by richardb200373, Nov 27, 2008.

1. richardb200373

richardb200373 Junior Member

I have a Huskavarna 8527 with Tecumseh 8.5 hp engine. I just bought it about a month ago. The guy that had it before seemed to have taken pretty good care of it and was very knowledgeable about this stuff (at least it sounded like it.) Anyway, I have drained the gas, put super unleaded with Stabil in it just to crank it up and have it ready for the driveways I have lined up.
    It starts up fine, but when running, it has a constant rev up, not too high, just normal, but the govoner I guess it is, is going back and forth kind of choking it out. I have tried the choke on all different positions, still the same thing, and hard to idle it when doing this. Any suggestions or is this the way these things run?

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

No, not normal, but probably nothing serious. It sounds like you may have a plugged circuit in the carb. The fresh gas may clean it up. Does your engine have a primer bulb? If so, prime it a few times while the engine is running. Run it at full throttle, with the choke applied as much as you can without killing it, then push the primer bulb quickly and repeatedly, but not so close together that you kill the engine. You want to give it as much gas as it will take without stalling. I have used this method to clear out other tecumseh engine's carbs.

3. richardb200373

richardb200373 Junior Member

Thank you for the fast reply Streetsurfin! It does have a primer. I will try that out. I did'nt think it was too serious, but just wanted to have it right. Thank you again and Happy T-Day.

Update: I tried that and it is better now, still has a little variation but it is better than it was, I'm sure it will clear up after running a bit. Thanks again.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008