1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow bear

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by tmarc, Jan 14, 2010.

1. tmarc

tmarc Junior Member

Hi All,

I just bought a snow bear plow and was wondering if anyone has added a heavier cutting edge to keep the plow against the ground when back draging.

2. Snowbear-Man

Snowbear-Man Inactive

Hi You would have to add over a 100 pounds to make a difference and then you would have to lift that everytime and drive around with it when the plow is not designed to weigh that much.

3. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

i tried to make one concept work ... then trashed it .... as soon as a sceme up somting i will post some pics ....
  4. MBrooks420

MBrooks420 Member
    from Erie PA

I'd be careful of back dragging too hard. I wouldn't be too worried about the weight, I'd worry about shearing off the small pins that hold it on. As far as upgrading it, I'd consider a back drag edge, behind the factory edge.
  5. grandchero97

grandchero97 Junior Member

6. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

i wouldnt worry about the pins .... back draggging with the plow is possible .. just got get the right steel for the blade part ... same weight pushes can also drag ... just got to get the right degree of angle for the back portion ... i just have to redesign the brackets better ..
  7. Tirioloservices

Tirioloservices Member

do what i did
    add like 100pds in weight
    got some old roun disc weights. bolted them on 50 pds each side mine back drags awesome
    use the saftey baar..if it hangs to low ..i use a chain and 2 collars
  8. MBrooks420

MBrooks420 Member
    from Erie PA

I do some backdragging with my snowbear, but I have also bent one of the pins so bad I had to grind off the pin, and drive it thru with a punch.
  9. champlainl

champlainl Member

When I bought my used snowbear,both of the pins that mount the plow to the truck were trashed, so I drilled the holes to 1/2 diameter and inserted a 1/2 inch receiver hitch pin that is used on a trailer hitch, I backblade all my accounts with no problems and the pins are still like brand new.
  10. MBrooks420

MBrooks420 Member
    from Erie PA

That's good to know. I considered doing this, but was leary of making the holes larger. Maybe this will be one of the Snowbear mods I am going to do come spring.
  11. champlainl

champlainl Member

I have practically modified the whole darn thing and it works plawless