1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow bank tops

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bow2no1, Feb 9, 2011.

1. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

i plow a few associations and the snow banks going down the roads are getting high.
    high enough so when i plow allot of it just comes back in the road.
    what do you guys do to knock it down? i was thinking of adding like a 3' x 1' section to to top left said of my plow. just something i can bolt on and ride down and just push the top down as i dive through.
  2. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

If we use a plow for roads, in deep snow we'll cut the banks back with a snow blower. We also have a L8000 with wing plow that can be used for "high banking" the sides of roads.
    Your idea might work, but you better build it solid enough that it doesn't bend.
  3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

can you drive one side of the truck off the road and shelf the piles? i have done this a few times so far this year as the windrows cant get over the tops and slide back into the road.

the ground is frozen enough and theres enough snow on the ground to not to any damage here.
  4. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

yeah i think i know what ur talking about.
    i was calling them "relief points" i did this in the other association i plow. worked out alright.
  5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

our church has a long driveway and the sides got to about 2.5' tall and unless you were doing 50mph windrowing, the snow was coming right back down.

so i drove in taking about 1/3 the width of my plow slightly angled and just shelfed it further back.

see how he uses his wing plow:
  6. fercho1

fercho1 Member

we have done the same thing
  7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Just hire a tri axle with a side blade...... cost is $65 per hour for them in my area to push the banks back. easy and its just a phone call away to the right people... hopefully you have something in your contracts that states this would be an additional charge
  8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm with Mick basically. I told my association that I will keep the road as wide as possible, which I was basically going over the side when it first started snowing, and that if the banks got too high/road too narrow then I'll hire someone to come in and widen it or they will pay me to go out and push the banks back with my plow.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I don't think your idea of putting an extension on the plow will work unless the snow is light and fluffy. If you have had any freeze/thaw cycles or if any of the snow was wet, your done.
  10. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

you could call your town department of public works and hire them to come out with a dump truck with a wing to clear it back for you. They cant charge you anymore than there cost of operation by law. So you might be able to get a dump with a wing out there for like 40$/hour or something.
  11. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

i know all the big construction business here in town. the only trucks with wings i can think of are just town trucks.
  12. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

call them up and ask them if they would. Whats it going to hurt. The worst they can say is no they wont do it.
  13. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

why not rent a skidsteer or a backhoe and charge them by the hour?
  14. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I've tried build and extension thing. Lets just say, build it strong...
  15. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

i wish it was that easy. i have a tractor. they just won't pay for it. they complain because the snow come back in the road but they don't want to do anything about it.