1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow averages

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Clean Cut Lawns, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Clean Cut Lawns

Clean Cut Lawns Banned

how and where would you guys find out what the average snow fall is for in a given area.

I wanted to know The average number of snow events and the average number of inches per season.

i'm located inWestchester NY and thats in the SE part of the state.

Thanks and any help would be apreciated,

Average snow fall in inches: _________''
    Average Plowable events 1"+: _________
    Average salting events: _________
  2. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I found a link in plowsite a while back. I'm not sure where the post is, but I will keep looking.
  3. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Use the NOAA site for your area. You can get detailed monthly weather reports for the past six years which you can then figure out the average number of events you'll likely have based on snow fall accumulation. Keep in mind though what they report may not be how you approach a storm. "trace" snow fall accumulations may not materialize into accumulated snow. So you may want to set your own parameters when looking at the info that whenever more than .3" of snow is recorded, that you might call this a "trace". So depending on the trigger depths and the level of service your customers expect - you can figure out how many events fall into each category you determine.

You can get the past 34 or 35 years, add 'em up and divide to get the seasonal average.
  4. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

5. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

If anyone needs snow info for the D.C. / Baltimore area, I found snowfall info from 1883 to present with each month listed for inches. I can email it if any is interested.