1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow as % of Condo Fees

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by M&M, Nov 1, 2010.

1. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Here's something that I would like info on if anyone has it.

I am bidding on an HOA of 35 homes with a $293 condo fee per month per home. That's $123,060 per year. The bid includes roadways, driveways, walkways, salt, but does not have sidewalks along the streets. I want to make sure I am aggressive with the bid but I do not want to leave money on the table either. My question is if you are privey to the HOA fees, what % of the those total fees is your snow contract for? As always, thanks for the help.
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Impossible to know, because prices and stuff well be specific to each condo
  3. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I'm just looking for a general idea to check my bid numbers. Not for a breakdown per unit but rather for the complex as a whole. I understand that each HOA/Condo Association is different but most of the time the condo fees are relatively similar from one unit to the next.
  4. Wader

Wader Junior Member

I'm an association manager in SE Mass & Cape. I just pulled up 5 of my budgets to get an average and it ranged from 7% - 17%, but the average was 11%.
  5. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I have some that are 90% - Self managed, Freedominium style

Some are 50% - Property Manager - Still Freedominium style

Some that are 30% - Proper condo, winter only cost

Some as low as 20% - Proper condo, take decent maintenance fee's in

The truth is as stated above. There are way to many variables to factor in. They could be violating condo code by not having a proper reserve fund, or could be very well managed and use the fee's for savings. You can't tell anything by the fee.
  6. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

If we could crack that code I'd have a lot more contracts.
  7. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

It's non issue what their fee's are. You just need to bid as you normally would. After the season is over, then the cost of snow can be plugged in as a percentage. If you were basing the bid off what the fee is, then if you work for a customer that's a multi-millionare do you charge them more or less than the base rate? But to answer your question: I've been told we are on average of 10%. As stated above, some I'm in the 40% because they don't have much else to pay so the fees are low.
  8. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

This is a tough question to ask, I think there's a HUGE variation in the numbers you seek from association to association, and probably even larger from state to state and region to region.
  9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Who cares what the percent is, in fact, it really has nothing to do with your bid IMO. If it were 75% of their fees would that justify bumping up the price by 50%. Just bid it to get it.
  10. buckwheat_la

i understand what you are trying to do, even commend you for it, however it isn't going to work in this situation.
  11. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Thanks for the comments guys. I guess I am trying to compare numbers that really can't be compared.
  12. buckwheat_la

u can work with this number another way, work out your quote as per your normal charging practices, then divide it up by the number of units in the condo, then work it is as a percentage of the condo fees. Then using some common sense, see how the numbers work out. I would say snow fees/exterior maintenance should be below 50% of the condo fees, you can work these numbers for yourself, using your own gas/electric bills, averaging things like your yearly fees to maintain a home. I bet your numbers well come fairly close. good luck
  13. Wader

Wader Junior Member

The problem is that some associations have 40 units with a mile of roadway, some have 200 units with half a mile of roadway and some have 500 units with no roadway (in the city). That's why the numbers vary so much and can't work this way. I say as long as the property is not an extreme in any direction, you are safe in the 10% range.