1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow and Ice Management

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Mar 18, 2000.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Alan's post gave me a good idea. What is expected of you guys? It seams the further northeast ya go the less that is expected. Like in my area:<p>Residental 3&quot; you might sand the average residental drive once every 3 years.<p>Commercial, in my case it by contract so its whatever i want to do.<p>Only for most non contracts it plow at 2&quot; min maybe sand.<p>Also people will wait to there is as much as 5-6&quot; of snow on a lot before they plow. (Like yesterday i didn't plow any lots to the storm was done. I kept the roads going through the lots cleared, but to the cars are gone or you have a big wide area nothing gets plowed. )<p>As for the DOT and Public Works, plow around 1.5&quot; and sand the rest of the time. Only it's not uncommon to see 3&quot;-6&quot; of snow on a road at a given time. <p>How often do they plow and sand or salt during a storm?<p>I am from maine<p>Whats it like in your area?<p>Geoff
  2. steveair

steveair Senior Member

Hello,<p>Here in jersey, the sue happy capital of the world, they start plowing and salting as soon as it hits the ground, at least for the roads, especially if it is the first storm or near the end of the season. Funny how that makes a difference in the way the matter is approached.<p>Commercially, 1 inch is usually when the plows come out, at least from what I noticed. Salt wise, It gets dropped when there is just a threat of a storm. <p>Residentially, it varies, but usually at about 2 inches people start getting ansy. A lot of these developments by me are all built into hills, and all have those steep drives. Most people can't get there mercedes up then even in the rain.<p>On the lighter side, I'll mention this. Being in the airport industry, we hear some real crazy stories. I heard about a time at a major airport in PA that a storm was predicted and the 'management' made the decision to pre-treat the airfield with a liquid de-icer to help prevent icing. It ended up that storm never came and just turned to rain. Cost----<br>60,000 dollars for the entire field. Thought <br>that was real funny. I sure could live comfortably for a couple of years with that money!!! You wouldn't believe the dollars spent in the flight industry.
  3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Here in Vermont the DOT is mandated (by legislative decree) to hold to an &quot;open roads&quot; policy. The practical aspect of that is that the roads are never allowed to have any buildup on them. Aggressive salting early in a storm and frequent plowing seem to be the methods of choice for them.<p>The trickle down from that is that folks expect to be able to travel anywhere at any time and driving skills have gone down the tube. Older residents are more likelyt o stay home when it's bad, but the yuppie contingent just HAS to be on the road and in everyones way with their SUVs. <p>I set my businesses and condos up on a 2&quot; trigger and residential on 4&quot;. The commercial/condo accounts get salted early, either with the first plowing or before if it's a slow storm. By taking a relatively aggressive approach I'm able to get &quot;bare and black&quot; sooner after the storm blows over. I think I'm being the most aggressive in the area about pre-salting, and it shows in that I'm getting the earliest bare pavement after a storm.<p>Prevailing mentality is to let the stuff pack on and then sand afterwards. I think that is somewhat due to &quot;that's how we've always done it&quot; mentality rather than an observant look at what is really happening. I got away from sand almost completely in the last couple years, and barring an ice storm I won't use much sand in the future.<p>Overall, snow isn't looked at as a disaster up here, YET, but it is coming to that. As the yuppie crowd grows I think there will be more demand for earlier plowing and more use of chemicals. No reason for them to learn to drive when they can demand that someone else provide for them. While I find the whole overeducated, wait on me, yuppie mentality disgusting, I do think it will make for more profitable snow operations. as they seem to be willing to pay for the service they demand.
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

My experiance from the last storm will tell what is expected. <br>We presalted all our accounts, the one in ? at 1:30 pm. Started snowing heavy at 2 pm and the snow was at the rate of 1-2&quot; per hour. The property was plowed and salted at 2:45 pm with about 1-1.25&quot; of total accumulation at that time. <br>We got a complaint afetr the storm that a few people ahd trouble making the hill between 1:30 and 2:45.So aparetnly we have a 0 tolerance even tho they dont always want to pay for it.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org
  5. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

We plow residential at 1&quot;<p>Some commercial at 1&quot; others bare pavement at all times.
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Dino,I have a trucking account thats the same way,they want a 0 tolerance so they can get out of the lot and on the highway,but they dont want to pay to keep a truck there during the storm.Big trucks pack the snow fast so they get stuck easy,it would cost them less to pay for better service than the time they waste trying to get out of the lot.I am pushing them for a seasonal fee instead of per push,but they are hardheaded,if I get enough work theyll be the first to go. John D<p>----------<br>John D<br>