1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow and Ice Control the Army way

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by recon 12000, Dec 20, 2005.

1. recon 12000

recon 12000 Junior Member

Here's a link to how the US ARMY :salute: does SNIC:
    I guess I won't put a plow on my M35A2 for clearing the drive way.:nono:
    But putting a Fisher on a HMMWV looks more promising!:nod:
    Regards, Ron from NH
  2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

That was great.Loved that 7ft one way on the jeep[makes those little tiny sno-ways look even more stupid]I wonder why they had those 1980s style lights on those new MM fishers?
  3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i guess the army doesnt need any subs
  4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

that was awesome! thanks for posting it!
  5. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Great Post :drinkup: I'm amazed that anyone would ever think of putting a spreader on a trailer.
  6. danno

danno Senior Member

Nice Find! Thanks, learned some too.
  7. Mike F150

Mike F150 Junior Member
    from maine

Army plow trucks

Nice plow trucks! wish we had them in Alaska. I was station in Alaska in the Army in the late 80's. Half on my company were earth movers, in the winter they used there bucket loaders and put the snow in 5 ton 6x6 dump trucks. I got to do this when there was a really bad storm, it was fun. Also, I drove a 6x6 5 ton to haul people around for a few years. On base we didn't have ANY Army plow truck, only graders and buckets loaders. We never had to use chains on our 5 tons, when driving in the woods with or without snow. They should test these trucks in Alaska instead of NY. I heard some of guys would sneak the 5 tons out at night on the weekends and sometimes get then stuck in the mud and snow. prsport There buddies with the bucket loader and sometimes dozer's would come to the rescue each time.
    Fun times in the snow!

8. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Very nice post.
    Chris that spreader on the trailer was the one thing that caught my attention the most.
  9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Nice find- great reading.

I had thought about trailering a spreader, then decided driving a trailer in the conditions where I would need the spreader would be unpleasant at best, especially being out and about before the municipalities salt.
  10. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

maybe you guys didn't read the spreader caption.

All spreader trailers were wrecked in accidents including one that took the HMMV with it. Never mount a spreader on a trailer.