1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow and Ice build up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Frozen001, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Just wondering if any of you have a way to deal with the snow and ice build up under the truck. I do not have a warm place to melt it off, and it is getting pretty thick in spots, and with the frosty(-15 degrees this morning) temps we are having washing it does not help.

2. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

I usually flip my truck over and ley it out in the sun for a few hours.

Seriously though, If it is causing a real problem then i would take some high watt flood lights and place them underneath the vehicle and skirt some plastic around the truck. Dont use Heatlamps!! wouldnt want the fuel tank getting too hot. I have only had to do this once but it worked pretty nice. i let it sit overnight and i only had to knock off ice in a few areas. Use like a 4 mil plastic.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I had a pretty big ICE booger hanging from my transfercase shield. About the size of a basketball!!! I went under with a shovel and carefully chipped it off.

Yesterday it was up to 37 degrees, so most of it melted and dripped off. Now its back to the single digits.

Are you finding your wipers and wiper washers freeze real easily? I NEVER had it freeze on my 1990 truck. The bottle was kept warm by the engine.

4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Buy some Anco winter wiper blades they really help on the Chevy trucks. Never had the fluid freeze but I use that deicer windshield fluid too. Maybe that has something to do with it.

5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I'm referring more to the buildup in the cowl and around the wiper arm pockets more than the actual freezing of the blades. It's as if the defrost doesn't blow low enough on the blades.

Yeah, the blue stuff is what I'm using now. I had a half bottle left in the garage...the other day I had to bring it in to thaw out.....it was frozen solid.

The prestone yellow stuff would have been real nice this winter. But then again, single digit temps is VERY rare for my area.

6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Ya my washer and wiper frieze up pretty easy Passenger side more than drivers side. I think it is because the sprayers are in the arm, and too exposed. I wish GM would place them on body between the hood and windshield area.

Mine main are if snow build up has been in the rear wheel wells. GM does not put and covering in that area, and if is caked full behind the inner body panel.... I think in the spring I am going to try and get some rubber up in there to try and stop it (like the front wheel wells). Ice seems to be building up anyplace it is warm, transfer case, transmission, skid plates etc.

7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

with my ford i wish the nozzles were on the wipers becuase at high speeds the fluid just hits the bottom of the windsheild. didnt think about problems with fluid freezing up though.
    you could try one of those washer tank heaters, it routes coolant to the tank to keep it warm.

8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Yeh now that I think about it, my '99 2500 and my wifes '04 Tahoe has that problem real bad.

9. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

If its your washers that are freezing try adding 1 quart of isopropyl alcohol to 2 gallons of fluid. I use de-icer (athea) in my washers but sometimes that doesnt work with the wind chill factor from driving and i find boosting it with more isopropyl alcohol works great

10. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

This probable help, but I think after sitting a while the isopropyl tend to evaporate off, and it will still freeze up. I also think part of the problems with newer truck/vehicles is that the hood is sealed muck better that they used to be, not allowing much of the warm are to flow out near the windshield.

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

That, and the bottle is up front behind the headlights, catching all the cold air.

My '90 had the bottle on the side of the fender...after a 1/2 hour, if you squited it, it would steam and melt the snow on your wipers instantly.

12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i wounder if a cowl induction hood would help?

13. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

You know, I wonder how come the big 3 do not have survey for us who really use the truck/cars to see what we think might help with common problems. I know I can come up with at least 20 things....

14. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

Anyone ever use the heated wiper blades? I have never had a problem with my washer tank but get lots of build up on the blades. Have to stop and knock the ice off sometimes. I have a 1998 chevy k2500 ext cad short bed love the truck.

15. Crodog

Crodog Junior Member

I just had to buy a new wiper arm, stripped the last one on the passenger side. Same problem as you, I am just getting out of the truck more often to clear it off. Wiper arm was only $22, could have been fixed under warranty but they wanted the truck for a day! If you come up with a solution let me know!

Crodog