1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow and Ice Alarms

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowguru, Feb 1, 2002.

1. plowguru

plowguru Junior Member

I searched fro previous discussions and could not find any for Snow and Ice Alarms. Does anyone have experience with any of these devices?

Here is one manufacturer:

http://www.sensatronics.com/Ice_and_Snow/

2. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

Looks like another toy that we need, But when there is snow on the way we'll all be awake every hour os so anyway.
    For $495.00 set the alarm clock

Ready to plow???

Rick

3. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Ah... well.... even with all the dodads... I'll probably opt for the age old, time honored, most reliable source of information as to when it's snowing....

I'll look out the window. Can't seem to sleep much when it might snow anyway....

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I agree with John. I just get up and look out the door in my bedroom. I can see exactely how much snow is on the deck.

5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

"For $495.00 set the alarm clock"
    My attitude has always been exactly like Rick's. But after this year, I am seriously considering spending the dough. I'm not necessarily concerned about the night of the snow storm, its the nights after where lots need to be treated from being wet & temps getting low enough to freeze them. I had go out salting this morning because of bad drainage at some lots, and we only had rain the last 3 days & record High temps. Would have been nice to go to sleep instead of watching bad late night TV patiently waiting for the temps to get to freezing (low of 25 - 30 predicted). There have been other timeswhen I knew those lots were still wet, but our favorite weather guessers had predicted lows in the low to mid 30's. Would have been nice to sleep until it was time to go, instead of waking up every hour or 2 to see how cold it was, and on a few of those nights for nothing because it only got to 36 or so. Yep the more I think about it, the more I think its a good idea to get one. Of course the problem will be that I'll still wake up all night because I won't trust that newfangled toy with its high falutin' technolgy is really going to work right & wake me up. LOL

6. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Forget about that Snow and Ice Alarms device. For the same price, you can buy Davis Instrument Cabled Vantage Pro weather station which tells you the temperature (inside and outside), humidity (inside and outside), dewpoint, wind speed, wind direction, wind chill, barometric pressure, barometric pressure tread (rising, steady, falling), rainfall, etc. Then spend the additional $150 for heater that you can install inside the rain collector. It melts the snow and ice. This complete weather system have alarm settings that you can set at specific condition you want it to alert you. You can set the alarm to go off if there is melted precipitation of snow or ice of at least 0.01", or 0.05", whatever you want to set it to. Also you can set the alarm to go off if the temp drop below a specific temperature. There are many other features you can set the alarm at. There are several more features you will like. This unit make a forecast for you and it also display the current weather condition.

Go to this link to learn more about this system. Davis Instrument is a high quality manufacturer of professional weather equipment. I have one of their unit (Weather Monitor II) and enjoys it very much.

http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/stations.asp

To make installation easier, you could spend additional $100 for a wireless system. You can put the console anywhere in your house or office as long as it is inside the range.

7. BRL

Thanks for reminding me Stephen. That's what I really want. Time to start making my own forecasts, can't do any worse than the professional weatherguessers ;)

8. BRL

So a day or 2 after these posts I needed to shop for something at Radio Shack, & while there asked what they had for thermometers. I bought one for the truck and also got another one that is cool. Its a wireless Thermo-Hygrometer, with alarm. Price was $60.00 and the model number is 63-1030. They also have similar wired unit for cheaper. You put the wireless sensor outside & you can read that temperature from inside. Most important, you can set a low & high humidity and, or temperature alarm. So I set the alarm on 2 nights when I knew I had wet parking lots to treat, & when temps were forecast to go below freezing. It worked great, so the problem was solved for much less than the $495.00. Well worth the money spent IMO (already paid for in my eyes, just have to convince my wife of that LOL)