1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow and cold

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaveK, Sep 19, 2001.

1. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Good news. Snow is on the way. Here's proof.

Here is a link to "snow clouds" over southern Wisconsin on Sept 12.

And guess what. The next time you are repairing a plow at 3:00am when it is 5 degrees and the wind is blowing at 30mph, it won't seem as cold. Instead of feeling like 40 below, it will only feel like 19 below. lol

They are changing the formula for calculating the wind chill. Check it out here

Does anyone know where to find history on previous years snow fall. It would be nice to find the number of days in a particular year that it snowed over 2" or over 4" etc. I'm sure some of you guys that have been plowing for years and years may have a calendar that you write down what days it snowed and how much snow we got. Like I will start doing.

I have looked at the well-known weather sites and NOAA but they just give monthly totals of snowfall, not how many times it snowed in that month.

Please don't give a link unless you are sure that the information is there, Don't just say "try weather.com"

Thanks in advance

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Well... I too hope that we will have an early and long winter, but I'm not getting my hopes up. All we can do is wait.

As far as the wind chill calculations, I guess that's kind of irrellivant. If you're repairing a plow at 3am, chances are you're a little too miffed to notice whether it's 40 below or 20-below... either way, it's just cold.

I asked about snowfall records in the past... trying doing a search such as "Annual Snowfall" or something along those lines.

3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I have some weather links that may have the information you are looking for. However, I don't have time to search through them for your requested information, and many of the ones I've seen are specific to certain regions. I already have my calendar of snowfalls for my area and the information that I need, and I don't really need that information for any part of Michigan. Since you requested that someone else do the work for you, I guess I can't help. Sorry.

When I first saw on the news about the windchill change it made me laugh. I will definitely be confused as to whether it will be a shorts day, or a long pants day for a while. With the old system, below zero = long pants, so this winter I may end up being really cold, or too hot.
  4. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

BRL, no I wasn't expecting somebody to do the work for me..;)
    Just hoping they could narrow the search down to a particular part of a site. Anyway, I finally found where to get it, just have to pay our government for it. :confused:

The wind chill is kinda meaningless now..

This is how it should be:

really cold
    real damn cold
    cold to the bone
    gggggonna mmmmmove tttttto ffffffflorida

5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

In the course of my full-time job, I work outside in the winter a fair bit. The change in the wind-chill formula was good for a laugh or two - I don't place too much stock in what the forecasters say anyway. I dress in layers and always have extra clothes in the truck with me.

LOL Tim - I have fixed a few plows outdoors (at work, not my own - honest!) and I tend to use a different system to state the temperature: Cold, (expletive deleted) cold, Really (expletive deleted) cold etc.

What I find worse than straight cold is cold & damp. Yuck! :(

Going to plan for a r-e-a-l snowy winter, that way if it happens it won't be a surprise and if not, well, guess that will mean I can get the bike back on the road a little earlier in the spring..........

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

On my local (Grand Rapids) Weather Service site, they give daily specifics for each month. I save them for proof of snowfall amounts on any given day I did or didn't plow, just in case. I'm sure with a little digging on the National weather service site for your closest city, you will find the same thing. Here is the link to my particular location-

and a similar site at vantagepoint-

Last edited: Sep 19, 2001
  7. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Tom, THANK YOU.

I must have searched 100s of weather site including NOAA and NWS and found nothing. I spent hours!!!

The link to NOAA above is what I am looking for (with years back to before I was born), but doesn't have my area (Near Flint)

The Accuweather site does have it (sort of). I can look at any month (only goes back one year :( ) and see how much snowfall on any day.

I knew that with over 3500 members, somebody here would have an answer. :D

Since you are in Michigan also, would you say that you plow somewhere around 10 to 12 times in an average year?

Again, thanks.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Glad that helped Dave.

I figure my one inch bids on an average of 15 or 16 pushes, with all our lake effect we get lots of little dustings to 1 inch. Some I even figure at 20 if I know they want black and wet all the time. For two inchers I figure 10 to 12 pushes, and for three inch and up I figure about 8, but realistically probably only 6.

I do some on each end of the Grand Rapids area, and with only 20 minutes drive time between them, I could see a three inch difference due to lake effect!