1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow accumulation standards

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by creativedesigns, Oct 11, 2007.

1. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

What is the snow accumulation standard in the States? Down here in Canada, Ontario
    is 254cm, before the contracts turn to a cost plus. Just curious!!
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think it matters where you are, 254cm is alot of snow. At Pearson (Toronto Airport) the 10 year avg is 115 cm and that's what we base our all inclusive contracts on. You better convert it to "'s if you want them there American's to respond. LOL
  3. Snoroller

Snoroller Junior Member

I don't know what it is everywhere but here in Western Michigan, commercial properties are either 2" or they want to be kept clean before they open no matter what the depth. Residential accounts are usually 4". Anything over 6" is an additional charge.
  4. Snoroller

Snoroller Junior Member

Ok, so I'm an idiot. LOL I should have read that a little slower I guess. Not sure what you mean by "cost plus". Where I am we usually get around 100" or so and the price stays the same from start to finish. Let me know what the cost plus thing is and maybe I can give you more info.
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Don't you speak Canadian eh!! LOL I think and I mean think what he means is, if you do a per season price for an average winter at what snow total for your area do you start getting additional $. We give a price for an average winter and it's more /inch after that. It works well when you include salt, plowing and hauling on very large projects.
  6. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, what cost plus means is that when the total contract snow accumulation is exceeded (254cm) , then you get paid at an hourly rate for plowing. It's sort of a safety line when doing commercial lots. You're always ahead making money, not loosing!
  7. cod8825

cod8825 Member

Wow 2" I couldn't imagine that everything is set on a 1" trigger unless specifically told otherwise by client. Then again we are in Kansas City so we only get 21" total for the snow season. All of our contracts are per push events are contracts are set up like this

1" to 4" is 100%
    4" to 6" is 150%
    6" to 8" is 200%
    8" to 10" is 250%
    10 to 12" is 300%

Every inch after that is 100% on top of that it was nice two years ago we had a sixteen inch snow it was 700% event very nice paycheck a lot of white snow on the ground.
  8. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I would starve to death here. About 75% of my businesses are 1" trigger with the rest being 2" triggers. We get some wind usually so I end up doing everything at 1" anyway because of the drifting. I just push by the hour with a 1/2 hour minimum. We get probably 16 to 28" total a year, mostly 1" at a time.