1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SnoPusher Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowMatic, Sep 22, 2015.

1. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

I need to plow along buildings with doors on the sides. Sometimes there's drifts sometimes not.
    Assuming that a skid steer is your only piece of equipment.

Would you need a angle blade to windrow the snow/drifts away from the doors along the buildings, then come back and hit it with a pusher, or would you find that a pusher is more than enough and the angle blade wouldn't be needed?

Thanks

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

This is where a Snow Wolf with Fasttach or Kage or Hydraulic wing plow will come in real handy. Make a first pass or two in pusher mode a few ft from the doors and building, then go to the plow and angle the rest away much easier. If I had my choice of either a plow or pusher and not a combo deal, I would say the plow. To me there is more risk in hitting the building with the pusher sides sticking straight out. If you do it enough times though, I'm sure you'll get good enough with either.

3. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

Also thinking the plow part would come in handy when the snow melts off the roof in the spring and lands in a big heap along the edge of the bldg.

So my next question is, is a regular pusher and a kage/fastech gonna operate differently?

Assuming a stone drive...
    and correct me if im wrong since Ive never used a kage/fastech..but a regular pusher will float more on top of the stone as all the weight of the pusher is on the shoes of the pusher vs on the kage/fastech all the weight is on the blade itself and there's nothing really to keep the blade from digging in.
    So should I assume im gonna plow up the stone drive using the kage/fastech vs a regular pusher?

Thanks

4. WIPensFan

That assumption is correct in my opinion. The Combo plows stick out from the machine more than a regular pusher, so that's a little different.

5. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

So would the kage/fastech be any different than using a plow truck/blade on that stone drive, all the weight of the plow on the truck is on the ground.

6. WIPensFan

The skid plow can be set and adjusted on the fly easier with regards to how close to the stones you wanna run.

7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I agree a combo style plow/pusher is the most versatile overall.....but we have done/do a sizable amount of mini storage snow work over the yrs...hands down a standard pusher blows away a standard plow in these scenarios....in fact, as far as skids go, in most commercial settings we've ever come across(large & small), a standard pusher beats a standard plow.

Yes it would....you have much more control of the blades down pressure with a skid.

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

beat me to it:waving:

9. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

so your just using a standard pusher in that type of environment, how do you handle doing along the doors. It would seem that with the snow building up in the pusher and the snow already drifted in front of the door that you would be piling more snow into that area of the door therefore needing a blade w angle capabilities to get it away.

I have part stone, part asphalt to do and trying to figure out which way would be best.

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

start in center & work your way towards doors

11. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

So your saying a boss pusher is just as effective as the kage without the additional cost of the kage. Not sure what a 8ft boss pusher even costs but its got to be less than a kage i would imagine.
    How would the boss pusher scrape on asphalt compared to the kage and are we comparing steel vs steel scrapers on both units

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

both have steel, but I would imagine a Kage plow without the box part on would scrape better because you can apply full DP when needed....where as the pusher has skis displacing some of the weight...

13. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

I'm pretty sure he said the combos are the most versatile. He was comparing the standard pusher to the standard plow. By starting in the middle, by the time you get by the doors your not overflowing the pusher into the doors. If you start to overflow just move away from the doors and carry the snow to the pile, then pick up where you left off.

14. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

My fault, i was referring to the boss pusher,as an example,as a standard pusher and just assumed that it would be cheaper than the kage.
    When you say standard pusher your are referring to just a pusher and not a combo unit?
    Im not even wanting to consider just a standard plow. But thought the kages combo style would come in handy at times, or maybe not.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  15. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

Ive have been plowing this location with a truck and vblade, on a good storm I would start in the middle or close to, and scoop out a couple passes then go go back along the buildings with the blade on angle to windrow away snow from the doors. Then again put the blade in scoop mode and clean up what was moved away from along the doors.

So I guess my thinking was that I would probably need something along the same line that worked the same way since that's the way we've been doing it. Thus the kage idea. But since pushers are a different animal apparently, maybe I should throw that idea out and just go with a regular pusher?

Since I haven't really used a pusher but one time. Its hard for me to compare the two (pusher vs combo unit) when you haven't 'been there done that'.

SnoCrete has any of those locations you do been stone drives or all asphalt? What do you use for a pusher?

16. WIPensFan

Im telling you, you will love the combo unit. Better for back dragging as well. I have a 10' Snow Wolf and Fasttach and it's amazing. Look at Snow Wolf plows and get some snow tires too...they will blow your mind.wesport

17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

---------------

18. IDST

IDST Senior Member

Buy the FastTach or Kage you will never regret it!

19. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I find for the price of the Kage you can buy a skid plow and a pusher leave both in site incase one breaks