1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snofoil or Rubber deflector??? (Fisher)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by unimogr, Jan 12, 2009.

1. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

I just started plowing for the town and snow blowing over the top of the plow is a bigger problem now than it has been. I'm running my Fisher 10' MC vs. my Frink because they pay the same and the cutting edges are cheaper for the Fisher.

Which works better? The $454.00 metal Snofoil or the $376.00 rubber deflector?
  2. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

3. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Watched the video. Wrentham??? My plow route includes Burnt Swamp Road in Cumberland which crosses into Wrentham (and Rhodes Street into Plainville). Maybe I'll bump into you someday.
  4. harddock

harddock Member
    from mass

Plowing streets... Snow foil, or snofoil and rubber flap.
    Parkinglots or drives where you need to pile up snow ..... rubber flap.
    Snowfoil doesn't like to make piles. (my$.02)
  5. ColliganLands

what do you drive i bet ive seen you
    my whole route is based right down by there
    we do ray rd, heater ln, comstock dr.(allsideroads off of),autumn lane(all side roads) summer st, old cumberland rd, and one other i think
  6. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

376.00 for a rubber deflector !!!!!!!!!!!!......why not find a local construction company that has conveyors and see if they have some old conveyer belt laying around, thats what we use
    its cheap and easy as heck to make
  7. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I get mine from work for free, I work around rock crushers where there is all kinds of it worn out.
  8. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Oh yeah. There's no way I'm spending $376.00 (official Fisher dealer in MA quote) because I'm just too Scottish. I have some single ply conveyor belting but it's too flexy.

So now I'm eyeing a 12" aluminum pipe I have and I'm thinking about slicing a C profile from it. It's 1/4" wall so it would be self supporting and I could add 5 or so hinges so it could tilt it back when not needed. Heck, I could even put 2 small hydraulic cylinders on it and run it off my spare control.

A friend reading this over my shoulder said I could cut teeth on the outside edge of the foil and with the hydraulics I could use it like a grapple to move cars parked in my way. That's his way to tell me to get my head out of that dark hole and find some thicker conveyor belting.....
  9. ColliganLands

10. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Here's my truck:

Just picture it w/ a plow on front.

The foil would probably work much better, especially out by the reservoir where the wind really blows but I also do a mill yard so there the deflector would work better. I'm interested though. Can you get a 10 foot?
  11. ColliganLands

i will call my guy in the am and check
    is it a 10ft hd or is it municipal?

i know the one for my hd was a 3piece deal and is expanable for 8-10ft blades
    and sweet unimog ill keep an eye out for you - we usually break fro dinner down at wendys or the chinese place in ri
  12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

exactly- foils do not like piling snow, so if you pile alot or do any resi work, use belting.

the foil can be had way cheaper lots of places- Atlantic Broom, I believe where I got mine, was under $175 .... several years ago. Infact, it's still unmounted in storage since I stopped doing commercial lots the season following it's purchase.
  13. ColliganLands

i "pile" stack snow with my foil no problems just dont try and ram a mountian of hardpack with it
  14. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

No resi but LOTS of nooks an crannies. Then I'm also doing the wilds of the Town of Cumberland on all 1.5 to two lane roads and by a large reservoir where the wind is constant. So I guess I need both. Some European plows have a pipe tube frame with a panel of hypalon that can be adjusted back or in place to deflect. Seems like another good concept.

15. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Belting isn't too flexy, works perfect unless you're really cruising around fast.
  16. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I bought the rubber foil and had to remove it the first night out because no air was getting into rad no matter how i carryed plow...
  17. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

As a Unimog owner I've learned to measure fast with a desk calendar....

The belting I have is single ply and really to thin. I tried it quite a few years ago and it didn't do much of anything. I found this but 10' would cost me $120. plus UPS. I'll keep looking. http://www.rubbercal.com/Conveyor_Belt_Street_Sweeper.html