1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno-Wing in Action!

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Lynden-Jeff, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Hey,

Well I got some pics of the snow wing with a pitifully small amount of snow, a good test run. I think I installed the rubber wrong as it leaves a SUPER annoying strip. If you could suggest a fix I would appreciate it!

Cheers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lynden-Jeff

Some more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Lynden-Jeff

Never mind!

4. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Did you remount the rubbers to correct that problem...??
    Looks like the last picture shows a good installation and example of how the rubber should be positioned...

5. Lynden-Jeff

I am not sure how high I have to mount the rubber, I litterally posted this after walkin in the door so I just woke up lol. I may try and fit it today, I think I just need to raise it a little? Im hoping the makers can give me some suggestions.

Cheers

6. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

Jeff it looks like the rubber is flexing too much i think Derek had a great idea about putting the rubber in front of the wearstrip yeah you cant have that annoying run off

7. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

If you can't get it to work do what I did. Take a piece of flat steel. 3/16 - 1/4 " thick by 5-6 tall and however wide the rubber is. Drill 2 holes to line up with your bolt's (thru rubber ones) Drill the holes about 1- 1 1/2 " down from top and mount behind the rubber. ( basically extending the wing down)This will add the needed strength to hold the rubber stiffer. The rubber should be touching the ground with the plow flat on the ground when you tighten the bolts. Hope this helps. If you need a pic of what I am talking about just PM me.

8. Lynden-Jeff

Hey,

Well I adjusted the rubbber and moved it in and up a bit. I still think it may be to far down and keeping the cutting edge up a bit however the scrape is much improved, no big pile.. I also think the wear in my cutting edge isn't helping and is still leaving a little wedge of snow.. Should I get a new edge? Maybe move the rubber up a bit? Its still getting a cleaner scrape then the metal. Also although my red wedge drawing on the photo makes it look like its flush with the center of the cutting edge, it is still lower then the cutting edge its self. When its on the ground, the rubber flap is flush but about 1" ahead of the metal, so when I move, it bends back and then is longer then the metal hence the good scrape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cheers
    Jeff

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  9. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

what we do when we mount the rubber we have the blade flat on the ground with the plow hooked up hold the rubber against the cutting edge and flat on the ground.. how are you trying to mount the rubber with the blade in the air?

10. Lynden-Jeff

I am not mounting it in the air, its on the ground, however it is not vertical, it follows the curve of the wing, which ends up putting it about an inch infront of the where the cutting edge. Its a little hard to explain.

11. Lynden-Jeff

So I think I fixed all my issues, no more stripe left and the bad scrap was because the rubber is a little low and makes the cutting edge ride up. Fix is down pressure until the cutting edge wears in more. Very happy, will get a vid soon.

Cheers

12. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

Yeah The Curvature Of The Wing Does Make It A Little More Difficult To Put The Rubber On

13. Lynden-Jeff

Well the real test is coming, 6-10" of snow friday, check back for lots of pics a vids!

14. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

Great i will be looking for them :nod:

15. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

so it is snowing here but sorry guys we sold our shop truck ...so no action shots

16. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

they are telling us 2-6" here tonight into tomorrow........the wings will be flying......

17. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

thats great we got about 4" lastnight and had to plow with our northman... yeah sorry tom I'll tell you it wasnt as good as our snoway we are looking to replace it today

18. Lynden-Jeff

Well good news and bad news. When they work they are great, but I had some big problems. 3 peices of rubber in a matter of a few hours. I think there needs to be more support, similar to the other pro wings which bolt very close to the bottom of the rubber. Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for being the guinea pigs guys. 1st generation wings, can't expect them to be perfect first try. Something I would worry about with the wings, if you add support behind the rubber and you hit something the rubber won't bend and the plow will have to trip. Are the wings strong enough to trip the plow, or will they just bend? Did you have your rubber pieces too low to the ground?

20. Lynden-Jeff

Hi,

I agree but the wings are definitely strong enough to trip the plow, they are very very well built. I will not put my support to the ground, just to about 2-3 inches so the rubber will still have some give. If you look at the aftermarket pro wings they are bolted much closer to the ground. I thought having the rubber pieces to close to the ground might be an issue so i shimmed the last piece with 2 washers under it while drilling, on a perfectly flat surface. I think they lasted the least of all pieces. It was fairly tough snow with some hard pack, still should not have ripped though. Here are the pro wings:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008