1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sno way ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mikelawtown, Jan 3, 2008.

1. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Can somebody tell me if they have had and luck with the hitch spreader. Also maybe someone can tell me what the prices are on the 6 and 9cu ft ones...Thanks

2. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I have their 9cu ft spreader w/a vibe. It will spread bulk salt w/out a problem, but sand is another story. They are not designed to spread sand, and unless you use tube sand, AND completely empty the hopper between driveways/jobs, it will clog. Also, since tube sand is so dry, it basically leaves "sand dust" behind you, and you end up using a lot more than you would otherwise.

I got a "slightly used" one this year (used once last year) for $1,400 plus installation.

If you do not need to dump a lot of salt each storm, and do not want/need to spread sand, this is a great little spreader. I've been going through about a ton/storm, and need to be able to spread sand, so I'll probably be trading mine in at the end of the season for a v-box.

Just my $0.02.

3. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

u know that was great information, i know i will be getting a hitch spreader for next season

4. mikelawtown

from Mass

I found one that will hold 300lbs the guy said..just dont know which model it is.he wants 950.00...

5. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

It's probably the 9 cu ft. I can fit +/- 400# in it.

If you are planning on running bulk salt, make sure to buy a vibrator for it.

6. mikelawtown

from Mass

It looks like there is a vibrator mounted on the back of it..Check out craigslist.com and click on boston, then keyword salt spreader..I dont know how to post the link so check it out..what are they new?

7. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I think that is the 6 cf.......I have a Snowex 575 (5.75cf) that will hold 350lbs.........

8. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Mike, If you do commercial work and can swing it opt for the Sno-way electric v-box. I am really satisfied with mine. For a no nonsense unit with few moving parts it performs very well. It can take 1 yd heaped up, which is the way to buy bulk salt anyway. What you don't use empty into bins for the next event. Stainless is nice and the only worries are the few carbon parts and keeping it greased well. Good luck