1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sno-way

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by J.Henderson, Nov 19, 2001.

1. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

Is it possible to convert a downpressure SNo-Way plow to a regular gravity drop? I was looking at the assembly diagrams for both and it looks like it is the same basic pump.

2. pcs

pcs Senior Member

A sno-way plow with downpressure is just like a normal plow. The downpressure is activated by a switch that can be turned on and off.

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly.

When plowing, if you decide you want to use the downpressure... just flip a switch.

Just out of curiosity... why would you NOT want it??? I love it, it works great!

Tim

4. pcs

pcs Senior Member

Tim, do you use it all the time when pushing snow also or just when back dragging?

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

When you rip off a speedbump or start tearing up asphalt and lawn this would be a good time not to use it. Fisher actually made a downpressure years ago and never marketed it cause it was dangerous. You have to be careful when using it.

6. pcs

pcs Senior Member

I'm pretty sure my plow still trips when it has the downpressure in use. So I don't understand why it would rip off a speedbump any more than a normal plow would.

7. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

J. henderson, when Alan reads your question is he gonna get steamed!!!!

He swears by his snoway with down pressure. He does things with that system on an S10 that many of us can't do with Bigger trucks and gravity down plows.

Put on your running shoes my friend.

8. SlimJim Z71

No, you don't use it all the time. Just for the record, a SnoWay plow works just fine without the downpressure activated. This system is great mainly for backdragging as you said. I plow a very large lot the is littered with speed bumps, and have never ripped one off.Contrary to popular belief, I'd put my plow up against a more popular brand any day. I'm very happy with it. The downpressure is an added bonus in my book. You'll know when to use it...

Tim

9. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Jeff, c'mon, I'm not THAT bad. But seriously, why would you NOT want downpresure? If you don't want it, don't use it, it's as simple as that. I run mine virtually all the time, I find that with a full blade the plow tends to lift without it. Just my opinion, but it works for me. As far as ripping up speed bumps, what planet are you from? I must be doing something wrong, never ripped up one yet! Only time I won;t sue DP is on unfrozen gravel, then it WILL dig somethign wicked!

10. pcs

pcs Senior Member

Alan- Do you find that your edge wears down any quicker?

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Alan uses urethane edges, by their nature they are much more wear resistant, and love down pressure.
    Dino

12. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

It's hard for me to say if the edges wear quicker with downpressure or not. For one thing the downpressure is on the order of 3-400 lbs, so even with it engaged there's not a lot more weight on the edge than a conventional plow. The other thing is that Sno-Way uses some sort of flat bar for their edges, not the harder material that "real" cutting edges are made of so it's like comparing apples to oranges. The last steel that I ran was 3/8" T1 plate and it lasted better than the factory ones, but the winner will be urethane, I'm fully expecting 4-5 times the edge life of a steel one. I really don't care if there is more wear, cutting edges are expendable and I like the way it clean better with downpressure on.

13. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

i had the same plow as slimjim and yes i did find that the original edge wore alot quicker with the dp on .. i know this cause i plow a lond asphalt drive the same way every time and with the blade angled that way there was noticable wear , no big deal just flip it around after awhile.
    dan

14. SlimJim Z71

It's about time the cavalry got here...

15. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

ya any other ?'s bout dem sno way plows let er rip wez can answer them.
    dan

16. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

Tim , did u get your edge on? i got your email awhile back and sent you a replie but never heard back from you. i gotta say this weather SUCKS... i got all these new toys and no white stuff to play with. i,m gonna spread my salt around and plow that up for something to do.
    dan

17. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Down Pressure and Cutting Edges

Running a Sno-Way plow all the time in the Down Pressure mode will wear the cutting edge much quicker. The plow will still trip in the Down pressure mode, and as anyone who owns one knows, the plow also comes down much harder in Down Pressure mode. As for cutting edge weight with the Down Pressure on and on the ground, the Sno-Way 25 series or the new HT Series has more cutting edge weight than most of its competitors with perhaps the exception of Fisher & Diamond. This is the way to think about it, if your plow weighs 850lbs. like a Western then you have a Sno-Way which weighs 650lb. - 700lbs. depending on mounts, then you flip on the down pressure adding back 300-400lbs. The Sno-Way has more cutting edge weight. As for the cutting edge on the straight blades it is 3/8" thick and "V" plow 1/2" it is the same 1080 carbon steel that everyone else uses as a standard. Any harder than 1080 you will tend to snap cutting edges. Urethane edges are proving to wear better but at least in our testing not as efficient on ice. As Alan said, you would not want to use down pressure on gravel, it will dig it up. Also keep in mind that our "V" plow is not all that light weight eventhough the moldboard assy. is high tensile low alloy steel, both models are well over 800lbs. and are standard with Down Pressure.

18. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Correct me if I am wrong, but short of a heated cutting edge, nothing really removes ice. Once snow pack or ice has bonded with pavement, heat is the only element that really works. The key is to keep that bond from developing with proper pretreatment.
    Dino

19. SlimJim Z71

I agree with Dino. I'm going to work on getting the pre-treating done at the right time, and then clean up with the poly edge. I think this will be a great winter.... course, it would be nice if the temps would start dropping a little more.

20. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Dino, I would also agree with you about packed and driven on frozen ice. This is where the down pressure comes into play in some not all cases. I also realize that conditions vary from regions to region across the U.S. and what works in one may not work in another. I am a total novice when it comes to urethane cutting edges, I have been told they work very nicely but when they contact ice, they seem to make the surface even more slick than it was before due to less friction created vs. the steel blade which has higher friction. What has been your experience with this? I know you do a complete job and salting, so the surface gets taken care of even if it was slick. Just curious to find out about your experience with it. I know from asking around that there is no comparison when you talk longevity of the urethane to steel, with the urethane the clear winner there.