1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Precision Lawn, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

Who can tell me about sno-way blades are there better then western. what would you recommend putting on a 1993 suburban
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Put a plow on that has service and parts close to you. I prefer Myer and Western.Shop around, you get what you pay for. It also depends on what you are to do with the plow. such as just your drive and a few others or major lot plowing. We could go on and on about what is the best choice.
  3. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I have the Sno-Way MT series on my 1500 Avalanche and I love it. I would take it over Western anyday. The down pressure system is the really handy. There's my 2 cents :drinkup:
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I hear that.:nod: Everytime one of these snoway/snowbear threads is started, arguments usually follow. Some people have been banned for this. Everybody has their opinions about every type of plow. Whatever works for you. But some people need to keep in mind that SOME plows are not meant for commercial use.:nono: :D
  5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

check out his pic....:nod:
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  6. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I have a Snoway ST on my Jeep and with down pressure system I can clean a small lot just fine. The reason I got it is, it was the lightest so this way I don't sag that much and didn't have to do anything with my suspension.
    It's different for everybody.
  7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

snoway and snowbear arnt in the same category. Snoway does make some plows that hold up ok. snowbear is a strictly light duty personal plow that is cheaply made, although it does have its place

Avalance Why would you take snoway over western anyday?

A western proplow is a beefier unit than a snoway but I dont think you could handle the weight on a 1/2 ton sub. Dont know what a sub can handle though.

Western/Fisher make some excellent stuff IMO but close service is a biggy especially if you have a breakdown and need to get up in a hurry.

What will you be doing with it?
  8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

go to the western site and see the new plow that thing is 100 times better then snoway i also like meyer plows
  9. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

I think I could help you out a little. The only two trucks we use for plowing our apartments are Suburbans. they are both 1500's with 4wheel drive and v-8's. One of our Suburbans (my primary plowing truck) is a 1990 and has a 7.5 Western Unimount on it and over the last 4 years we've had the truck, we've never had any major problems. Our other Suburban is a 1998 with a 7.5 Curtis plow we just installed on it this year. Personally, I like the Western better because it is simpler and easier to maintain. The Curtis on the other hand is a good plow but I like using our Western better than our new Curtis. I took some pictures a couple weeks ago of my truck but I sent them to WesleyLawn and he hasn't had time to post them yet but look for them within the next couple days in the pictures forum.

Now, about the Sno-Way plows. From my experiences witht hem, I don't really care for them. They are nice personal plows but I don't think they're really made for heavy plwowing because they are too light. That's the reason they need the Down Pressure system because the plow is so light, they can't keep it on the ground without it. Just with my experience I'm not too particular about them. If you have any other questions, fell free to pm me anytime.
    If you have any questions, just pm me.
  10. bison1973

bison1973 Member

sno-ways are NOT personal plows

Sno-ways are great plows. I've used mine for three years and had NO problems. Some uninformed people seem to think they are not commercial duty plows. I think this has to do with the fact that Sno-way actually has some new ideas when it comes to snowplows. They don't look like all the rest of the heavy steel plows. These plows are lighter- they're enginnered that way. They won't beat the crap put of your truck like all of the rest of them do. They get the job done just the same as the rest of the other makes. It's just like anything else- they're a little different and people tend to fear things that are different. Anyone who says they don't make serious plows should check out thier website.
  11. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

I have a friend who has a Sno-way. He shattered the blade on his. He now has a piece of stainless steel on there guaranteed not to break.
  12. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

snoways are good plows will hold up the same as any other "real plow" not personal driveway plows at all.
  13. My Sno-Way works fine for me! :D
    But different strokes for different folks.
  14. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Love my Sno-Way....Stacks like you wouldn't believe...hydraulics are quick and reliable...Snow doesn't stick to the lexan as much as a steel plow...no chain to fall off like I've seen happen to many western's......and even though they look like they're not very heavy duty, I beat the crap out of mine and I still haven't had any major problems.....not to mention its easy on the front end of my half-ton truck....and even though its light, it still does a good job without downpressure...

Lownrangr where are you located?
  15. Wayne is the city I call home...
  16. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

we have a ford ranger with a small snoway on it for the tight spots. it has been nothing but trouble ever since weve gotten it.

shattered the blade out 3 times, burned the motor out 2 times.
  17. kc8mxa

kc8mxa Junior Member

i`ve had a sno-way now for 3 yrs.
    love it except for the mounting system.
    i just leave mine on instead of on and off again.

down pressure is great for gravel (off)
    and ( on) for pavement and back dragging.
    just my 2 cents worth!!!
  18. avalancheplow

What did you hit when you cracked it?
    I have already hit a little stone wall and nothing has happened to it.
  19. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

whats so hard about mounting the things? I would not leave a plow on all winter even if it took and hour to attach remove. JMO
  20. avalancheplow

With the wireless controller it takes me 50 sec. to remove the plow, and no more than 2 min to put it on.