1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno-way vs. Snowbear

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by blades, Jan 2, 2004.

1. blades

blades Junior Member

Ok, let me start out by saying that we REALLY don't need another Snowbear-bashing thread. :rolleyes:
    I'm just looking for a realistic comparison. Obviously the Snowbear is a light-duty, occasional use plow, which is absolutely fine for my use. We usually only get maybe 2-4" of snow per snowfall where I'm at (of course there are the occasional snowfalls that dump much more).

Is the Sno-way plow (st series) overall a better piece of equipment than a Snowbear? I get that impression from looking at them on both websites. I couldn't find any pricing on the Sno-way. I'd be interested in a ST series, 6' blade.

I currently have an older 7' Meyer plow on my 94 S-series Jimmy. It's more plow (and maintenance) than I need, plus I'm not real happy with the old-school mount that's now gracing the front of my "new" Jimmy :rolleyes: plus the fact that the blade is extremely heavy for one person to deal with putting on every time it snows. I will only be plowing a couple of residental driveways and my private easement drive, which is only about 100' long, so I really don't need a really heavy piece of equipment.

That being said, what's the cost vs. value comparison between the Sno-way and Snowbear?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2004
  2. toiyabe

toiyabe Banned
    from Tahoe

I can't tell you prices, but

a plow is just a slanted piece of metal... A snow bear such as mine works, and has worked in snow like in the photos I posted for the past seven years. I am not familiar with the sno way.. Just don't buy into the this plow or that plow is crap.. look at your needs plus cost.. the Snow bear goes on and off easily enough if you have a hard surface to put the wheel pieces on.. Although in my opinion.. once you start plowing you are reducing your plow truck to junk.. Slowly but surely.. Plowing is hard on transmissions, auto or manual.. I have actually had bellhousing engine bolts work loose.. If you go with the snow bear, I also recommend using a power wrench on the frame mount bolts.. otherwise they too will work loose.. A plow is more or less a complicated hammer..

elsie20.jpg

3. blades

blades Junior Member

You've got a pretty good track record if you've been using one for 7 years, albeit with a bit of occasional welding & repairs, but any plow is going to need a bit of that. I probably wouldn't be plowing but maybe 5% of the volume you're moving, considering your average snowfall and the length of your road you're plowing. Unfortunately, I don't have a nice hard flat surface to set the plow when it's not used, so I'd have to muscle it into place without the help of the wheels. I do that now with my Meyer, and it's no picnic. :realmad:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2004
  4. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

ok first of all u need at least a 7 ft or 7.6 ft blade to cover the wheel base if i had a choice be tween the two i would go with snow way at least you have down pressure

5. blades

blades Junior Member

I didn't realize that Meyer and Western (and probably others as well) made "personal use" setups. Looks as though if/when I replace the Meyer I currently have I'll be doing some research.

6. toiyabe

toiyabe Banned
    from Tahoe

Blades

I don't have such a surface either, and thus rastle with the unit sometimes.. If your angles are just right you can drive right onto it. It mounts with two male/ female connections and a couple of clevis pins which you drop into the snow and never see again.. so you buy extras down at the hardware store.. I don't know if other plows are easier or harder to put on and take off..

elsie19.jpg

7. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have Snoway 6'8"

I have the Snoway ST 6'8".....I have not got to use it alot yet...but in comparing it to other brands, (Western, Meyer, etc) the mount and support frame/mount look just as strong to me.....

I run mine on a 96' Toy 4Runner.....it is the right plow for my vehicle.....but I think that in the future I will stay with Snoway even on a large truck......I like the down pressure and the way it is mounted. Also I like the raising lower system...

8. blades

blades Junior Member

LOL! I'm sure I'm getting quite an accumulation of "lost hardware" in my driveway by now. :p

dmontgomery: if you don't mind, how much $$ was your Snoway setup?

9. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

depending on the dealer a 6½ snoway ld will run from $2200-$3400

10. dmontgomery

it was $3500 installed including tax

Derek

11. blades

blades Junior Member

Thanks for the price, Derek. I think there's a dealer not far from me, I may have to give them a look when I get a chance.

12. dmontgomery

Like I said a lot of guys don't like them or think they are not tough enough....but I think they are plenty....

Derek

13. Broncoboy

Broncoboy Junior Member

I noticed in the photo's above. The plow vehical looked like a Blazer or Bronco? Did you have to install a set of Timbrens to reduce sag? How heavy is the plow you use? I just bought a 95' Bronco and want to make sure I fit it up correctly.

14. dmontgomery

I am not sure of the weight.......check out www.snoway.com...the weights are there.....

For a full size truck I would go 7.5' or maybe 8'

Derek

15. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

Blades

Did you look at the homesteader yet? It was about 2800.00 for me installed with tax. It goes on and off very easy. With the spring loaded pins that hold it on so you dont have to go to the hardwear store and buy spares. Also if need be you can take the reciver mounts off and improve ground clearence. Other than that there are three plugs to plugin and you are golden. It also has downpressure like the snoway but doesn't weight as much, a difference of about 50 lbs or so. 6'8" blade like I got is 250 lbs.

Josh 99zr2

snow 007.jpg

16. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

here is another one

truck with plow 003 01.jpg

17. 99zr2

99zr2 Senior Member

one more

under carradge 01.jpg

18. blades

blades Junior Member

Hey Josh, thanks for that info and the pics. Nice setup you have there. I bet that ZR2 does a decent job for you. I haven't looked at the Homesteader. Who makes that?

19. jeepplow

jeepplow Junior Member

I just installed my new snowbear yesterday on my 94 Wrangler and did some plowing. I will only be plowing for myself and a couple family members. All gravel drives. I am very happy so far. I plowed my drive in about half the time it took with my F-350/Western setup. I was able to push the light snowbear without tearing up my rock driveway like the Pro Plow would.

The Snowbear will work fine for me. I agree that it is much too light duty for commercial use, but since this is a personal use plow, I think it works fine. Also, at $1000, it fits my budget better than the other personal plows from Fisher (Homesteader) and snow way. I also like the fact that lighter plow will wear less on the Jeep.

20. SnAscksdck99

SnAscksdck99 Junior Member

2800 for that??? wow i got a new western ultra 7.6 for that price:D

im000187a (2).jpg