1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno Way vs. Buyer's Snow Dogg

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NPS7777, Oct 6, 2010.

1. NPS7777

NPS7777 Junior Member

OK, lets hear some opinions. Sno Way plows vs. Buyer's Snow Dogg for a 1/2 ton truck. What is the better plow? Let the debate begin.:)

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You're comparing apples to oranges. They are both good plows in their own right but different as night and day. The Snowdogg is lighter but also shorter. it is a chain lift blade meaning it lacks down pressure an excellent feature in a lighter blade. The Snowdogg is certainly the price leader as they can be had for substantially less money but you give up a lot of features for that savings. They both will last, have 2 year warranties and very similar mounting systems. The snoways light harness is much simpler and has zero moving/consumable parts and offers wireless controls saving drilling a one inch hole for access purposes. The Snoway uses a multiplex control system and is ground side controlled while the Snowdogg uses switches and use the more common analog systems. The Snowdogg has a simple there button control while the snoway offers a more elaborate handheld with joystick, programmable macros, job timers and wireless option.

3. NPS7777

NPS7777 Junior Member

Thanks Basher, that is pretty much what I've been thinking. I'm doing mostly residential with this, and some small commercial, and I think the downforce on the SnoWay just for the sake of backdragging in front of garages, etc. will be worth the extra money. I've heard the Snow Doggs don't backdrag well. I also think I'd like the Poly better than the Stainless Steel. I agree that the bells and whistles of the Sno Way are nice. I'm comparing the Snow Dogg MD75 with the Sno Way 26 series, both 7.6 ft. Do you know if SnowDogg has fixed its issues with the height of the lights as well as the ease of attachment/removal of the plow?

I'm also looking at SnowEx spreaders and am trying to decide between the 575 and 1075 on a pivot mount. I'm worried that since its only a half ton truck the 1075 might be too much weight, but then again it might help counter the weight of the plow. Also I might have trouble going through all that capacity at first and I know you shouldn't leave salt in the hopper between storms. But once I get more commercial accounts, it will be a pain to fill it constantly. So there is a bit of a trade off. Any advice on that?

I can get the SnoWay plow and the SnowEx 575 spreader, both installed for $6399 plus tax. Seems like a decent deal. They started at $7577 plus tax and I've talked them down this far. SnowDogg w/ the spreader is coming in at $4945 plus tax.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

IMO you want the Snoway 26 series with DP and a standard generic deflector. Snoways deflector is great on the bigger plows but to constrictive on the smaller plows. For a spreader I'd suggest a SHPE0750 they are versatile and less intrusive then the hitch mount spreaders
    saltdogghttp://www.saltdogg.com/Salt_Spreader/ElectricHopperSpreaders/SHPE0750.html

5. NPS7777

NPS7777 Junior Member

OK, I think I'm set on the plow. I like your recommendation for the spreader, however I don't have storage for bulk salt where I am. If I could find a vendor that would just fill my hopper up with a bobcat, that would be something. But I'd still need to run it until its empty, right? Or can these types of self contained units hold salt in between storms without moisture affecting it? I'm honestly not sure how I am going to make a profit on salting using bagged salt since the price is so much higher, I'll price myself out of a lot of jobs with it.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can use bags in the 0750 I would not leave salt sit in the hopper.