1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno Way V-Box gearbox problem...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by robswede88, Nov 7, 2013.

1. robswede88

robswede88 Junior Member
    from Sweden

Hello im new to this forum and im Swedish so my english is not the best so please excuse me. ;)

Bought a used Sno Way V-box spreader with a 11 HP Honda engine.

However, I could not test it when i bought it, but only when I got home and had access to a battery.

The engine starts very easy but when I push the clutch button on the controller I hear that the clutch just slips.

Seems like the gears in the gearbox is locked up. The oil was watering and brown and the shaft that goes out of the gearbox (the one that drives the conveyor belt) can not move even though I removed the long chain. Also removed the chain that goes to the spinner plate and still can not move the shaft so it seems like the long shaft that goes into the gearbox is locked up.

So now to my question. Is there a repair kit for these transmissions? Because I guess a brand new gearbox costs 1000+ USD

Im grateful for all the help I can get, as this is my first spreader.

And one more pics...
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

My guess would be to take the gearbox off and see if there's anyway to rebuild it. Usually its a few bearings and races and a few seals
  3. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

Its not the gearbox that is locked up, its the bearing. # 3 in your picture. Oil and grease that bearing, put a pipe wrench with an extender bar on the shaft and work it back and forth. It will free up.
  4. robswede88

robswede88 Junior Member
    from Sweden

Thanks for the advise, but I do not think it is the layer that is broken. I have loosened the nuts thats holds the bearing and I can spin it around on the shaft but the shaft its self is still stuck, no movement what so ever, however the bearing is broken becuse its missing some bullets but as i said, i can still spin it on the shaft.

But i will try and use a gas welder + WD40 and warm/grease upp the shaft and then try to loose it with a pipe wrench when i come back to the garage on Monday.

Thanks for the help! Really appreciate it! :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  5. robswede88

robswede88 Junior Member
    from Sweden

My friends, the problem was the gearbox and the electronic clutch. All bearings in the gearbox was rusty and the electronic clutch had rusted together into one piece. I had to use a puller to remove it from the shaft. So now I have ordered new bearings and a new clutch. Thanks for all the help!