1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno-Way ST 7'6" or MT 6'8"

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by CarCrazed4Life, Feb 26, 2007.

1. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

I'm a noob, but needed some help.

Well I have an 04 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 4.7V8 Auto. It had the Heavy Duty Tow Package, and has been a pretty great truck and was the beefiest compact I could find. I do my own drive way and 3 Hotel Parking lots, and when we got this truck was going to get a plow on it.

I purchased a Plow from Snoway when they had their blowout sale to make room for their new 26 line. I was talking to a sales rep he told me that due to my truck being a compact, the only 7'6" I could mount was a ST. And since the price of the MT 6'8" was the same or close to the ST he told me to go ST especially since the mounts and everything are the same. He said they are very similar and I won't notice a difference with the MT on my truck. I've plowed before with a Jeep Wrangler and MT 6'8" and it was a great Plow, just small blade.

Well after using my ST 7'6" and breaking the poly already and the hydraluic lift arm is leaking fluid on my first storm here in the Philly area, I'm wondering if I would have been better of with the MT. IMO, I think a dakota is more beefier then say a Tundra is, and would expect it to plow better then my old Jeep did.

I have Timbrens and Goodyear Silent Armors Tires with the Snowflake marking for Severe Winter Weather use, and everything else about the truck is fine... Could it be just a weak or faulty Hydraulic arm that caused premature failure?

I guess I'm looking at getting rid of the ST, but I've always been a fan of the Sno-Ways versus any other plow... Anyone have any suggestions? Get the ST repaired under warranty and sell it or trade it for an MT? or jump up to the 26?

-Charlie.

2. vwovw

vwovw Senior Member

mt
    :bluebounc

3. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

I have the same truck with a 26 series,pics of it in this thread
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=43068

I plan on upgrading to the 7.5 blade the 6.8 is just not quite big enough at full angle,and it only weighs 14 pounds more than the 6.8

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  4. CarCrazed4Life

The only reason I didn't get the 26 was because they told me nothing bigger then a 6'8". Now I'm thinking of doing an even swap with someone who has a MT 6'8" since the mounts are the same, or upgrading to a 26 7'6". I just don't want to loose $$ that I put in this plow...
    Does it feel to heavy for your truck? Do you have Timbren's or any other Suspension Modification? I think the truck part is quite beefy, and can only imagine what this truck could do compared to the Jeep.

Glad I didn't get a Tundra... but now I need to change plows.

5. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

It is a little heavy 400+ pounds,I load about 400 pounds in the bed to help even out the weight.I recently cranked the torsion bars a little .It handles it fine,they say the 6.8 is the only one for it but it is really to small.My dealer said they would help me out trading up to a 7.5 for a couple hundred bucks.If they ever get any more in:cry: .Iv plowed about 40 hours with mine only had a leaky hose,dealer replaced no charge.It was leaking when I installed the plow,just a bad hose.Overall im very happy with it,just need some more snow payup .

If you go with the 26 series make them sell you the 7.5 blade

Mike

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's a front axle weight issue, the same year durango is listed for a 7'6." The dakota doesn't have as much weight in the rear to act as a counter balance.

If I'd sold this unit I'd have suggested a 26 series 7'6" poly with a poly wearedge. The MT 7'6" poly skin with a poly wearedge is a good unit it's just I stock the 26 series.

A used MT 7'6" polyskin would be the cheapest route for you. You can put a poly edge on any MT blade, so a 7'6"mt w/steel wearedge would work. It will work with the mount/wiring you have on your truck. The salter you have on the rear, along with the material you're carrying will provide the ballast you need to balance the load.

7. CarCrazed4Life

I remember you even warning me when I came to install it that you disagreed with the initial suggestion by the sales rep for the ST. Either ways, I'm probably going to be on the look out for a MT 7'6". If you see either MTs come around, let me know. I guess I'm going to have to bring the plow to you for warranty work and replacement of the Lexan (which I'm sure falls under abuse :cry:

8. CarCrazed4Life

Basher:

If I find an MT, and say it has the wired controller... Can my wireless controller be swapped with the wired controller, so the MT is wireless and the ST now has wired controllwer?

9. Brew

Brew Member

Yes, as long as the plow you find is indeed our MT series plow. If that becomes the case, you will have to swap both the receiver module and transmitter (hand held control) from each plow. The receiver module is found under the pump cover.

Thank You,