1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno-way SS Salters

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by zeke99, Nov 23, 2005.

1. zeke99

zeke99 Junior Member
    from WI

I was wondering if anybody was having issues with Sno-Way Stainless salters.
    We take pretty good care of ours and they seem to be going through parts more so than our SS Airflo salters. We just retired a steel Airflo salter after 6 years and never replaced a gearbox or clutch. In two seasons with these Sno-Ways we have replaced two clutches and a gearbox.
    Just wondering if it was my 2 units or if it's happening to anybody else.

Zeke

2. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I have a 1 year old not SS but the brass gear in the gear box broke, Dealer says it froze up because I left it loaded overnight but there was no frozen sand when I shoveled it out. Even if it did freeze some I think that gear should be stronger than the keyway.. So I dont know if this is a gearbox problem or me

3. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Sno Way Electric Spreader PROBLEMS!!

I tried to use my brand new electric unit yesterday. It is too weak to move the sand (which was dry). My customers are furious and so am I. Naturally, my dealer is closed until Monday.
    Has anyone used the electric unit with success, or should I just drop it in the dealers doorway, buy a decent gas unit and sue him?
    Any advise will be appreciated. Thank you!

4. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Did you do a sure on electric spreaders on this site?I had a smith SS electric it was a junk I stated that on this site.It ran one day and not the next[It was included with the truck when i bought it]It is gone now .Why would you sue the dealer?did he put a gun to your head and make you buy it?you bought it because it was about $500 less then the gas one am i right.

5. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

Echovalley: I was looking for some helpful advise to solve a problem with my brand new Sno Way spreader, not your personal advise about my choice or what how I will approach my dealer on Monday. Not that it should matter, but the gas unit was only $100 more. I made the decision based on "ease of use and lower maintenance" per the dealer who should be knowlegeable.

6. MJM Landscaping

from Maine

My dealer is taking the electric unit back today, giving full credit. I am going to purchase a gas unit - different brand - so no need for advise now! Thanks.

7. zeke99

zeke99 Junior Member
    from WI

SteveR,

I don't believe it is you. I have used V-boxes for almost 15 years and never took out a gear box. I am starting to believe the quality of the components
    is less than I am used to with my previous salters.
    My expierience with Sno-way is they usually claim poor maintenance on the operator's part.
    We are looking into dumping these units by next season. They need to be more reliable.

Zeke

8. zeke99

zeke99 Junior Member
    from WI

Update: It has been a month and one salter alone has consumed almost $1,500 in parts and we've been waiting for two weeks for more parts.

This is frustrating seeing that our weather pattern looks like we will be doing more salting than plowing.

Sno-way needs to have better parts support especially when we are in season.

Zeke99

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway doesn't make their hopper units, they're a product of Northeast Fabricators. They are not near as well designed as the SnoWay Plow line. The direct drive off the gear reduction unit sucks. there's no way to service the rear drive Assembly with out ripping the durst box(gear reduction) apart. In 34 years in this business I've NEVER been inside of a Durst box except for the snoway unit.:gunsfiring: It's a pi@# poor design and isn't worthy of the SnoWay name. I've told this to every DSM I've talked to. You guys call SnoWay! Tell them about this issue. I bet If they decide to design a spreader from the ground up like they did the snowplow it'll kick everybody's ass..phalt
    Just my 2 cents, if it's worth that.

10. zeke99

zeke99 Junior Member
    from WI

Basher,
    We are located only 20 min. from the plant and our dealer is even closer.
    I know they don't make these units here in WI but parts should be easier
    to get than they have been. Especially when they need so many.

For me it 's too late to be concerned about Sno-way's future spreaders
    they won't get my business in the future.

Zeke99

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Can't say that I blame you.