1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sno-way spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by plowing chevys, Jan 19, 2004.

1. plowing chevys

plowing chevys Junior Member

do the sno way tail gate spreaders have some type of closing devise at the bottom to close it off? from the only picture I can see it look to have something down there? thanks for the help

2. MSL INC.

MSL INC. Junior Member

As a matter of fact I think they do. I just saw 1 at the Mid-Am last week but, I wouldn't buy 1 b/c I didn't like the belt drive system they use. Belts and the conditions that we subject them to DO NOT mix!

3. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Yes they have a shut off valve. The most recent models have a thumb screw that allows you to use the shut off as a flow gate to control how much comes out of the spreader.

They have a hitch mount now for both of their tailgate spreaders.

We have one and like it a lot. Don't be afraid of the belt. It keeps the motor up and away from the salt.

4. handenterprises

handenterprises Junior Member

i have one but i dont think it spreads as far as it should.i have had it to dealer and they say it is turning at the right speed, but that is at no load.at most i get about two or three feet on either side of the truck (12' total).they claim 30' ,i would be happy with 20'. they want me to bring it in again to take another look at it. the belt is tight.any other ideas.

5. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

What material are you using? Is it dry? Are all the connections good? (including the grounds) Have you lubed the spindle?

6. handenterprises

handenterprises Junior Member

i use salt. i have used three differernt brands and two different sizes.i keep my salt inside and only buy two skid at a time and the dealer keeps it inside too so yes it is dry and flows nice.wiring is good. after i got it back from the dealer i tried to grease them the bottom one had a big ball of grease hanging from it so i cleaned it and tried but the zerk fitting would not let it take any grease . i put a new one in and greased it it didn't need much.the top one was fine. i just don't think the spinner is going fast enough. i did get an idea to try after reading another thread. i wounder if i could raise the spreader