1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno-way series 24 v. Western SUV????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hubjeep, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Howdy,
    I have a 1992 Jeep Wrangler currently fitted with a Western SUV plow (which I purchased new 3 seasons ago).

I bought a CJ-7 a couple years back with a Predator Series 24 (6' 8") plow with "down pressure" and sold the Jeep alone.

I am going to sell one plow, which one? :confused:

I am not too thrilled with the Western SUV plow performance. The plow seems extremely light duty (frame as well as blade). I have trouble scraping down to the asphalt (which results in multiple passes (attempts).

I have heard good things about the Sno-way plows on this site :nod: (thanks to search).

I am seriously leaning towards removing the SUV plow and installing the Sno-way. The only drawbacks I see is that the Sno-way is a few years older than the Western (If that should be a concern), I would have to buy or hopefully fab the CJ mount to fit the Wrangler, and the Sno-way is a tad slower in control movement than the Western is.

What are your opinions?

Thanks,
    John :cool:

2. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

BTT, I think Sno-way will be the way for me :cool:

-John :cool:

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Install the Snoway.It will scrape MUCH better,and will be much more durable.

The snoway mounts are fairly simple.You should be able to have on fabbed up to fit your jeep.

4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I would install the Western. The western blade looks a lot stronger then the sno-way blade. But the sno-way has the down pressure which will improve on scraping. There are also more western plows in my area then sno-way and more western dealers.

5. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I have the Western SUV plow, the blade appears fairly thin compared to other Western plows. Western has been around for a much longer time than Sno-way, switching people over from an old brand can be difficult, thus fewer of the newer brand. Reading the Sno-way literature really pushes (no pun intended) me towards Sno-way.

Does anyone have a picture of a Wrangler (87-95) Sno-way mount?

6. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I sold the Western on E-bay :) (wow, did that work well)

The original mount was for a CJ, I had to drill two holes on the mount under the bumper and weld up brackets for the frame behind the rear wheels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't wait to try the downpressure :D

Thanks,
    John

7. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

[​IMG]
    No drill strobe light mount :cool:
    [​IMG]

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Nice job,it looks good.

Since it's an older Snoway,take a good look at all the welds for cracks or separation,as they were bad for that.

Check the piece of angle that forms the back of the a-frame for twisting or tearing.The lift cyl puts a lot of stress on it and it will fail.Another piece of angle with a few small gussets will prevent this from happening.

Carry some spare trip spring eye bolts.Due to the angle they install them on they frequently bend,and then break.

I noticed in the pic,the self tapping bolts for the pump cover are missing.The holes tend to strip out and the bolts disappear.Tack welding a locking nut on the underside of the pump mounting plate,and using a regular bolt will prevent this.

9. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Thanks! I unbolted them to take off the cover and did not put them back (didn't find type 5606 fluid yet).

I will check for cracks, I didn't notice any while touching up rust spots with POR-15.

-John

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

You should be able to find the oil from any major lube supplier.I think it's Esso Univis J or something that we use.It's way cheaper than what you pay for it at the plow shops.

11. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I will have to call around, the two places I tried only sold it in cases of 6 (1) gallon jugs, about $92 :eek: