1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sno way problems. need help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by scooterber, Dec 30, 2014.

1. scooterber

scooterber Junior Member

I have what I beleive is an older MT series plow. It has a gray wired (3 wire) remote and down pressure. I parked the truck outside for the night and when I went to move the truck I had nothing at the plow. So far I have tracked down to no power anywhere except the hot post on the solenoid (which I replaced).
    i do have good solid connections everywhere (removed and cleaned with a die grinder on every connection). I have 2 modules and 2 controllers. I took them to the dealer to have tested and they said they were ok but I question that. With one module both controllers will power up and the lights will pulse with input. The other module, nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've beat my head on this thing for hours.

Scott

2. scooterber

scooterber Junior Member

no thoughts ???

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You checked the fuses?

4. scooterber

scooterber Junior Member

I did check the fuses basher. One module has one fuse and the other has 2. All 3 fuses are fine. I pretty much checked and cleaned everything on the plow and the only power anywhere is the main post on the solenoid from the battery. I can power the pump directly and it's fine. I'm thinking that the module is fried only because everything else checks out. If I'm reading the schematic correctly there should be power to the yellow wire at the pressure switch which would energize the brown wire, nothing there. And, power to the solenoid (small terminal), nothing there. When I took the modules to the dealer to have checked out they only tested one of them and said it and the controller was fine but I'm thinking not. Thoughts ???

Scott

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No 12 volts at the red wire with black stripe??

6. scooterber

scooterber Junior Member

Ok, guess I miss spoke initially. I do have power to the red/bk wire. It's connected directly to the hot post of the solenoid.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

broken wire in a plug?

8. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I'm thinking it's the brain box. Jump the solenoid to make the motor run while pushing the controller buttons. If pump runs but plow does nothing, gonna need to replace the brain box.

9. scooterber

scooterber Junior Member

I checked all of the wiring and had continuity from end to end on everything (through all of the plugs). I ended up just buying the new controller and module and it fixed my problem. I'm not a big fan of the elaborate controller but I'll get used to it. I was surprised though that the whole setup with the wiring kit for the new style plow side plug was only $507 with tax included at my local dealer. I looked them up on ebay for reference and they were $669 without the wiring harness.

Next issue..... My down pressure doesn't work unless I'm pushing down and to the side at the same time. I think I accidentally hit the pressure switch with 12 volts while trying to troubleshoot things. If I energized the pressure switch even for a second would it fry it out internally and if that switch was shot would it kill the DP function ?

Thanks for the help,
    Scott

10. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I don't think the DP switch is bad if it works while pressing down and to the side. Double check your wires from installing the harness. Sounds like a wire is in the wrong place.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:nod::nod:

12. scooterber

scooterber Junior Member

I got a chance to check everything out. The wiring is all as it should be. The yellow wire never receives voltage, even when DP is activated by pushing down and either side at the same time. I can jump the yellow and brown to activate the DP though. My thought is that by pushing down and either side I'm activating the DP coil and the side motion is running the pump which in turn bypasses the pressure switch.