1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sno-way problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by soilmover, Dec 2, 2001.

1. soilmover

soilmover Member

All my other plows are ready to push(all westerns). This morning i

looked at my sno-way plow(less than one year old).

Everything worked but my down/ down pressure button.

Left right no problem, up no problem.

This plow goes on one of our ford rangers. We use this

more as a back-up unit. Anyone have any thoughts? or have had

this problem?

:confused:

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Only thing that comes to mind is maybe a loose or bad electrical connection by the pump. I've heard that SnoWay has had some problems with their connectors... so I would start there. Let us know how it turns out.

3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Check the plugs on the ends of the brown and yellow wires. Thise are the ones on the DP solenoid and are prone to getting loose. They fit pretty loose from the factory and have a tendency to open up a little. Quick squeeze with pliers on the prings of the plug, not the barrel where it connects to the wire, seems to cure it for quite a while. Since it went down during storage I think you might have a combination of loose terminals and a bit of light corrosion. If still nothing, have somebody run the switches while you check with a test light. If still nothing, unplug the main harness at the bumper and go ver the terminals with a test light, you're looking for a couple that go hot only when the DP is engaged. Pretty sure there are two hots, although one of those on the solenoid may be a ground. When you go for downpressure there should be power to the pressure switch as well as power on the output terminal to the valve and back to the main solenoid under the hood. Does the plow motor run but still no DP? If the plow tries to go UP with DP engaged the downpressure valve is either bad or not getting power. Any time a Sno-Way goes UP when it is supposed to do something else there is a problem with valving to the function that is not working, either electrically, not opening the valve, or mechanically, the valve itself is bad.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2001
  4. SlimJim Z71

Another thing that can cause this is a sticky solenoid under the hood. I had the problem where I would let off one of the angle buttons, and afterward... the plow would go up a little.

5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

That bit of "coast" upward is not the result of a sticking solenoid. Any time fluid is moving in the system and there are no functions being called on the plow will raise as there is no valve to keep fluid from going into the up side of the lift cylinder. What happens is something like this, motor is running, fluid is moving through a control valve, blade is angling. When the control switch is released the valve closes virtually instantly. Fluid is no longer going to the control function but it is still has intertia as well as the inertia of the pump and motor coasting to a stop. All the energy goes into the lift cylinder. Every Sno-Way plow I have seen or used will go up about an inch when you release the angle switches. If yours was going more than that or you could hear the motor running after the switch was released you had a bad solenoid, but if it was just a slight bump upwards it was totally normal for that hydraulic system.

6. SlimJim Z71

Sorry Alan... I should've been more specific. My plow would go up a few inches, and in some cases... it would just keep going. Like you said, bad solenoid.

Yes, a little "bump" going up is perfectly normal.

7. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

DP not working

I highly suggest getting the plow to you local dealer if your plow is less than a year old. This will help you avoid any warranty issues of working on the plow yourself. If you do not have a dealer in your area, call Sno-Way directly at 1-800-662-1453. You can check the wire connections as others suggested but it sounds more than likely that the Downpressue valve is stuck. As for the plow jumping up when angled, yes that is normal with the fenner unit on a sno-way. The new SMO1 unit introduced this season does not do that and does not use spool valves like the fenner unit. Just a couple of quick tips.

1. does the motor run at all when the dp button is turned on
    if not, there is a broken circuit

2. if the motor runs and everything else works okay, then it is the downpressure valve itself.

Call your sno-Way dealer first and then Sno-way directly and ask for Steve of Kevin in technical service.
    Hope this will help you out. Let me know.

8. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Sno Way

Bryan,

It is good to have a manufacturer rep on site.

Dave

9. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

DO NOT waste your time with Kevin at Sno-Way. Unless this is a new Kevin. The old one, Kevin Witt(less) was about as useless as teats on a boar hog. No matter what the problem, his standard line is that "We've never heard of that problem before". If I had to deal with him on a regular basis I would have sold my first plow from there and never even considered buying any more of them.

Bryan, if you can, show this post to that bozo so he will know that some folks out here don't care for BS and no answers.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2001
  10. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Alan, trust me, Kevin Witt and most people up at Sno-Way know who you are by now. I was just trying to offer this guy some more help. He may find that Steve at Sno-way can help him.

11. soilmover

soilmover Member

Thanks Guys

On Wed. I'm going to my local dealer to work this out. I hope it is still under warranty. From day one the solenoid on down/down pressure would clickand click and click.The dealer replaced it once last year. Maybe the button was on during the non-plowing season and messed with the solenoid.This is my 1st sno-way so i didn't know what to listen for when the plow was working.I think the installer didn't wire the solenoid correct? I know nothing about wiring. I will let you guys know what happens. If not under warranty i will need more help!!!!!!! Thanks

12. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I find it hard to believe that most of the employees at a major corporation (snowway), know one individual with 3 plows from VT.

Geoff

13. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I only own 3 Fords but if you were to ask I know that my name is known among the VP's in Detroit. After all I was calling them everyday when my truck would not run. See the following thread.

http://plowsite.vbulletinhosting.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958&highlight=Ford

After enough complaining to corporate I got a satisfying action. It is the squeaky wheel after all that gets the grease. Just have to be professional about it.

14. GeoffD

CT, your probably right.

However maybe sno-way's customer service needs to be improved. When I have a problem with anything that we own, we get straight answers, no BS. I am sorry, but a company shouldn't be beating around the bush, and saying we don't know. They should have answers, or they should go look for answers. One more question, don't you guys product test? I know other manufactures test plows to the point that they fail, they find the fail points, they find the problems. So when someone calls with a problem, they have an answer.

But what do I know?

Geoff

15. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Geof I think you know a lot. I am the same way. I do not like exscuses. I want answers and action. As a businessman this is how I operate and I expect the same. That is why I continued to pressure Ford. Now the dealer practically is my servant. I get into service when need to. Parts are overnighted for me. When I go looking for a truck never see a salesman. The manager opens the key cabinet and lets me test what I want and then he and I put in the order.

16. GeoffD

The thing that is sad. Is the company has probably lost sales because of this reps attitude.

I had actually thought of buying a sno-way to put on a ranger pick up. Only because sno way is the only company that builds one. The truck probably wouldn't plow for more than 40 mins top. However because of the reputation this company has earned. I will never buy a sno way product in my life.

Geoff

17. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Geoff
    Lookminto meyer, I saw a new ranger a few weeks back with a meyer system on it.
    Dino

18. SlimJim Z71

Give me a break!

I have never dealt with this Kevin Witt to the best of my knowledge. I have however dealt with SnoWay on several occasions... and have had nothing but EXCELLENT service. If whoever I'd spoken with didn't have an answer, they got back to me the same day with one. They have always been very professional and courteous. Geoff, to bash an entire company like that over one person is like saying you'll never shop at the local grocery store because of one rude cashier. Bryan especially has been at the top of my "favorite customer service" list for a while now. I've even gotten e-mails from him just seeing how things are going. If you're getting resposes like that said of Kevin Witt's from everyone... maybe you need to approach them with a little different attitude.

My next plow truck will have a SnoWay plow on it.

19. GeoffD

From what i have read, is customer service is lacking. It is not my fault the company can't deliever customer service to its customers.

Like the old saying goes, it takes one bad dead to erase all the good deads done in the past.

Thats my $ 0.02

But then again what do I know?

Geoff

20. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

In a way I think Geoff has a point. If a cashier was rude to me and the store did not work with me I would not shop there anymore.

Same thing with how we treat customers. We need to work with them if we want them to continue service with us.

When you are in a customer service business then you should provide good customer service. Especially when someone has a problem. These customers get the drop everything treatment from me and I expect the same when I am the customer. If a huge company like Ford can do it then the plow companies can to.

Having said this I have nothing against sno-way. I know a local dealer who says they are great lightweight plows. Of course he does not run one but he says he had no problems last winter. I have heard mixed reports on this site on them. I would have to say that if someone like Geoff, Alan, John, Chuck, or some others on this site make a comment on a specific product or company that it comes from their many years of experience and is worth reading if nothing else.