1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno-way plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Jun 11, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I've done a search for Sno-way and the opinions seem pretty good. Do you Sno-way owners still have a favorable opinion of your plows? I was hoping they would be a lighter alternative on my Tahoe.

A couple posts mentioned that when the plow is angled, it will jump up an inch or so, how can you plow with that? Do you have to push the down button every time the plow is angled just to be sure the blade is on the ground?

I've heard the new plows with the SM01 units don't jump, can anyone running the new version confirm this?

Thanks for any opinions,

Joel B.
  2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm selling my SnoWay right now because I'm getting out of the business. If I were going to keep plowing heavily, I would definately keep it, and probably add a few more. I've never had the plow "jump up an inch or so" as you mentioned, nor have I heard of that being a problem. They are great plows, and much easier on your truck.
  3. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Just curious as to why you are getting out of the business. I'm thinking about getting into the business; do you know something I don't?

Joel B.
  4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

The only reason Sno-Ways do the little up bump when angled is that the plow is already lifted and being held up by hydraulic pressure. Any time the pump is turning and no valve is open the plow will go up. What happens is that when you angle (with the plow up) and release the control the valve shuts instantly but the pump has to coast to a stop. When the plow is down there is a valve open that bleeds off that little bit of flow and doesn't affect blade position at all.
  5. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I like Sno Way's on smaller trucks. I have used from the 6' to the 8' straight blades with poly and steel mulboards.

My general opinion is that they're fine for residential plowing or light duty commercial. I don't think they with stand the test of time all that well. Then again, the shelf life for a plow is 6 to 8 years anyways. The 8' blade (2500 series) on our '94 GMC 3500 is tired - but then again so is the truck. Time to turn it over.

I liked the Sno Way enough that I took a Meyer plow off an older 3/4 ton and put a Sno Way on it. Would I buy another one? Yes I would in a heart beat for a Chevy S-10 or Jeep, maybe a 1/2 ton if we bought them. But on 3/4 and bigger, we're going to give Boss blades a go. I passed up on the lobo since I wasn't confident enough in the Sno Way. Maybe the grass won't be greener on the other side of the fence... we'll see.

The most frequent problems are:
    1) Replacing lexan mulboard - forget about their warranty claims - they use a little loop hole to not cover them, had to replace about 6 or 8 over the past 5 years. We found about three years or so before cracking began to occur. Went to stell on the parking lot plow.

2) Lift cylinder replacement - not cheap at $250 ish plus your time/labor to install it. If it goes down - you're SOL. We keep an extra one on hand. We've replaced two due to the blade creeping down.

3) I've had two or three light relays (newer models) go bad - the switch that automatically kicks the lights up from the truck to plow lights when plugged in. I like the older manual switch better.
  6. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

Hey Alan,

Still got a copy of that sno-way manual you were going to send me? I could still use it.
  7. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Yup,, I do,, IF I could only remember where the blazes I put it so would be able to find it.
  8. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

Cool. I am planning on rebuilding my mechanical parts on it this fall before the snow flys. I noticed a small leak in it the other day. As soon as you find it, let me know and I will send a check for shipping/printing costs.
  9. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Joel, I will need to contact the rep who handles your area to see if there are any sub-dealers closer to you, but we do not have anyone direct closer. Alan is correct about the hop up on the plow with the Fenner unit, we our now in our second season with Monarch and we no longer have the hop up or drifting down. As for the Lexan breaking frequently, everyone has a different experience with it, some have had in their plow for over 10 years, while others have a bad experience, from a company stand point, we still sell more lexan than steel, but if you are breaking lexan frequently, you need to change to a steel moldboard. Sometimes lack of communication between the dealer and the manufactuer causes loss of warranty as well.