1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno-Way plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kends, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Kends

Kends Junior Member

How do you guys feels about Sno-Way plows?

They have a Lobo plow (which is thier 'V' plow). It comes with the down pressure system, and deflectors.

I have a dealer locally here too.

Ford F250hd gas.

Let me know.
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Relatively new to the market. Have not heard much bad about them. Just had a dealer here pick them up. Light blades and frame that are still strong. My only problem is full trip blades which I do not like. I cannot see how a full trip v would work???
  3. alfman

alfman Junior Member

I had a 7 1/2' snoway on a 95 F250 and I had nothing but problems with it.There is no "slack" in there design (like a lift chain) so every time you go over railroad tracks or bumps all the shock is taken from the plow mount. One time I was plowing with it and the mounts where it attaches to the bumper mounts completely tore out the front of my frame. It was so bad i could not get the plow off of the ground. So I had to drive home with the blade down, called my welder and the closest Meyers dealer,scraped the snoway and was back plowing later that day. Snoways might be O.K. for some people but I would not run one even if it was given to me.:(
  4. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Sno-Way background

Sno-Way International is a 15 year old company that has been under new ownership for the last 10 years. The new ownership redesigned the plow from its old style orange and we use to actually bolt the lexan into the moldboard. Sno-Way is comprised of three companies Hartford Finishing, Steel Craft Corp, and Sno-Way Intl. One paints, one manufacturers and welds, one assy. and sales. All companies are owned by one family and never shut down except for major holidays. There are a lot of features of our plow that many of you are already aware so I will only mention a few. We are the only manufacturer who uses Hi-tensile low alloy steel in our moldboard assy, we are the only manufacturer who offers interchangable moldboards, only manufactuer who can offer the down pressure feature on every plow we make. We pioneered the all off feature. On another note, plow mounts will rip if you don't check the bolts periodically, what happens from use and shock is that they become, loose and start to oblong holes and then crack or rip. We just like everyother manufacturer are not perfect but we try. Chains or no chains, the plow mount and the front end of the truck still take the shock of bouncing. Sorry for the length of this post, but the gentleman did ask for opinions.
  5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a little dense, so maybe you need to explain to me how a plow mounted solidly to the truck (SnoWay) and transfer more shock to the truck frame than one hanging and bouncing on a chain. Seems to defy logic.

As for ripping the mount loose, only time I've seen that happen is if the bolts get loose and let things start to move and hammer. Been there, done that, but I didn't blame the plow for my lack of attention to maintenance.

I'd have been more than happy to take that SnoWay off your hands, even if it was only a puny little 7'6".

As for SnoWay, we've got three, two 8' straight blades and a 9'1" vee. They might not be the best, but they're pretty good in my book. The oldest has 7 seasons of commercial use and it's got a little life left. Between the lighter weight AND the SOLID linkage there is much less strain on the truck. They came out with a new design for this year which adds some nice features.

As for the vee tripping, it seems to do just fine. The relief valves are quick enough to let the wing (or wings) fold back and then trip. We have yet to see any difference in the force needed to trip the vee over that to trip a straight blade. This year we'll ahve urethane edges ont he vee and that will take care of the little snags that cause trips as the urethane will flow over the smaller obstacles.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I think the whole issue of lift chain or solid linkage and bouncing was brought up in an earlier post. DO A SEARCH!!! I have heard nothing bad about sno-ways. If I was not running one brand (Fisher) and stocked parts for them I might try one. My only experience with a full trip V was a Boss Plow I saw plowing. It would not trip in the scoop position and just ripped curbing right off. Luckily the curbing gave way.
  7. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 7.5' SnoWay as well... the 25-series in steel, not lexan. In my opinion, this is a great plow. The direct-linkage (no chain) system is really quite good. I've put mine through some heavy commercial use, and it hasn't missed a beat. Not to mention, SnoWay is hands down the best company I have ever dealt with when I had a problem. If I needed answers, I got them with one phone call/e-mail. They're very nice people to deal with, and then truely define the term "Standing behind their product."

Alfman, it sounds a lot like your plow was not taken care of properly. In looking at two plow mounts side-by-side (a SnoWay and a Western Pro Plow), to be perfectly honest, the SnoWay mount, at least on my Chevy, looks like it was built with the truck in mind. It's a very solid set-up, and does a good job of transfering the "abuse" throughout the frame rather than focusing on one spot. I plan on buying another one when the time comes.

8. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

We've got 2 snoways. One Lexan and one steel. They've been mechanically reliable and have been used under heavy commercial conditions. I wish we'd gotten 8 footers instead of 7.5's but hindsight is 20/20. The only problem is that with the thin skin of the steel and the composition of the lexan, we can't add wings to the plows. This makes them much less productive than our 8 foot Meyers with wings.

Anyhow, I might look at the Vee plow that Snoway makes sometime down the road.

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

as most of you know on this board i used a snoway lexan plow for 5 seasons and worked it commercially, yes i had to allways check the mounting bolts as they did have a habit off working themselves loose until i welded them tight.
    alfman, as someone else suggested i think neglect was more a part of your problem.
  10. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Has anyone here had experience with the lobo v plow. I'm almost to the point where i'm going to take my fisher off my truck and put the snoway on it accept for one thing.(Don't get the wrong idea the fisher's going right back on another chevy) My fisher has a nice tight curl as does the snoway but when the lobo is angled like a straight blade there is a big flat box in the middle does this cause any problems as far as the snow rolling off the blade? I realy think a 9' V plow with downpressure is a definite asset but I also want it to function like a straight blade at times. I'm just very curious as to how that flat spot effects the way it plows especialy in wet snow.
  11. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

That flat looks funky but I can't see where it bothers flow over the moldboard enough to worry about. It does affect the ability to break through heavy piles a little, with no real point to start the material moving, but even that is minimal
  12. peewee

peewee Member

I have a lobo and used it lightly for most of last season. The plow worked well for me but I did have one problem. Under fairly mild conditions the snow came up the plow and actually bent the deflectors right back wrecking them, and this was maybe a 6"fall of slightly wet snow. I called the dealer to get replacement parts and he said it was not a warranty issue. I went to the sno way web site and could not find a phone number for customer service. I e mailed them over a week ago and still no reply. Slimjim can you give me the number you called them on? I just don't seem to be getting the service you did and I will buy my second third and fourth purchases based on service more than anything else. Kends, check out your local dealer first!
  13. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Sno-Way Customer Service Number

1-800-662-1453 Sno-Way Customer Service
  14. CCSwanson

CCSwanson Member

I have run a 9ft lexan Sno Way foy 2 years with no mechanical problems just dealer problems which Sno Way promptly took care of at no cost to me. I reccomend them to any one. Good luck on your choice
  15. peewee

peewee Member

Thanks Brian, I'll give them a call!