1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno-way Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by acrajchel, Aug 20, 2016.

1. acrajchel

acrajchel Junior Member

Hi,

So I'm looking to put a plow on my truck. I've been in landscaping for over 15 years, but never got into snow. This year though, I was approached by a local property management company that wants me to plow and salt 7 apartment complexes. So I am looking for a plow. Around me I have a Boss, Sno-way, and Meyer dealer. One place does both Boss and Meyer, and another does Sno-way. I have been checking out their plows online, youtube, etc. In the past I have used Boss and Meyer working for another company. But when I checked out the Sno-way Revolution HD, it looks like the coolest plow I've ever seen. I like the down pressure and the hydraulic wings are nice for going from back dragging, to a straight blade, to a scoop blade. These apartment complexes are tight quarters, so I think the scoop would be nice for moving around islands and corners.

My hesitation is that I rarely see them going down the road here and haven't seen much discussion about them here. Is this for a reason? The Boss/Meyer dealer is considerably larger than the Sno-way dealer, which could explain why everyone around here runs Boss (dealer doesn't even stock Meyer and says they are $1500 higher than Boss for similar plow). But are there issues with quality, ease of use, etc. with Sno-way?

Thanks

2. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of truck are you putting this on? Check out the new Boss EXT if you think boss might be better for you. It's similar to the sno way plow.

3. acrajchel

acrajchel Junior Member

2005 Ford F-350, the thing I liked about the Sno-way over the EXT is that with the Sno-way, you can adjust the angle of the wings using hydraulics, where as the EXT is a set angle. I use the Boss dealer for all my mowing equipment, but at first glance it just seems the Sno-way is a better plow as far as features.

4. HcTruckRepairNY

HcTruckRepairNY Junior Member

I have sold sno way for over 10 years, the Revolution HD is a fantastic plow. If you are going to be owning and operating then you will love the plow. Sno Way plows are fantastic but they seem to need to be looked after more frequently, more wiring under the cover than most plows. But if kept up with servicing you wont be happier. I tell customers this, if your owner and operator go snow way, if your guys are driving the truck get something less complicated.

5. shawn_

shawn_ Member

Do you have multiple trucks / machinery to handle 7 complex + salting?

6. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Snoway is a good plow. I like the revolution series a lot. If I were getting one it would be the Revolution HD, and nothing smaller. I too would like to know how you intend to take care of 7 apartment complexes with a single truck. Sounds impossible to me.

shawn_ likes this.
  7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

How big are these complexes? Have you ever plowed before? What do you own for equipment, and you better go check out insurance.

shawn_ likes this.
  8. acrajchel

acrajchel Junior Member

Thanks for the input on the plow. As far as taking care of 7 apartments with one truck, they are all pretty close together and pretty small. The largest one would probably take me 30 minutes to plow and 15 to salt. 3 of them are probably 30 minutes for plowing and salting. I'm in KY, and we don't get storms that are too bad. The worst we got last year was an 1" and hour, and that only lasted about 3 hours at that rate. I worked for someone else doing snow last year, and as long as we could go through our route once every 5-6 hours, we were in good shape. I have a truck that I can plow with, just trying to figure out the plow. I have insurance, but need to go through it with my agent to make sure it is enough coverage and will cover snow (slip and falls, plowing, salting, etc.) adequately.

Thanks for the advice guys!

9. shawn_

shawn_ Member

Gotcha usually snow insurance is different then your regular liability insurance. One thing to think about is do you have a back up if your truck is to go down mid storm? U still need to cover those 7 complexes & salt . As for plows I would go with whatever dealer can readily get you parts during storm & or stock extra parts just incase .

10. JMHConstruction

Like Buff (I think) said in your other thread. With your dually you'll want a bigger plow. I don't think the snoway will work for you.

11. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

The Revolution HD is plenty big enough for a dually.

12. JMHConstruction

Yes Jeff, I am wrong. I was thinking their 29r plow. The revolution hd is bigger. Good call.

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Yeah I said get at least a 9' blade in another thread.

Since Boss seems to be the most common plow in your area it'd behoove you get a Boss since the dealer probably has the staff and parts to deal with breakdowns/damage when it occurs.
    I would get a V over an expanding, less weight, less complex and probably less breakdowns. I have no experience with an expanding plow, from what I've seen / heard they're great for wide open lots however they (DD products) tend to bend/twist when they take a hit.

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

A Bud Swilling primate jumped me via text aboot my plow weight statement, I was referring to a Blizzard 8611 not a Wideoot or XLS.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    JustJeff likes this.
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What's the matter, does the cat have the monkeys tung?

BUFF likes this.