1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno-Way Plow Wiring

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by skoby, Nov 11, 2008.

1. skoby

skoby Junior Member

I'm new to this site and am hoping someone (maybe Tom O''Brien) can help me out (he seems to be able to answer just about any q regarding Sno-Way plows).

I recently purchased a used Sno-Way plow (6' 8", 3 point mount with down pressure - no model # or serial # that I could find). The plow did not come with a joystick or wiring harness so I've had to completely rewire and build my own rocker switch control box. I just about have everything wired, but the wiring schematics I've found (with help from this site) are not very clear for coil F (float/raise) and coil C (raise).

I've used the following 2 .pdf's to date but the wire colors and number of wires don't seem to jive between the 2 manuals.

97100728D SNOW PLOW SET UP
    AND INSTALLATION
    INSTRUCTIONS
    ST SERIES SNOW PLOW
    MT SERIES SNOW PLOW
    HT SERIES SNOW PLOW
    FOR PLOW SERIAL NUMBERS AFTER
    STD200000
    STG200000
    MTD200000
    MTG200000
    HTD200000
    HTG200000

97100200E OWNER’S MANUAL
    24 SERIES SNOW PLOW
    25 SERIES SNOW PLOW
    WITH
    DOWN PRESSURE SYSTEM
    FOR PLOW SERIAL NUMBERS AFTER
    24D100000
    25D100000

Coil F has a tan/white wire coming off, but it's lacking on the rocker switch control diagram I've found on-line. Coil C has a tan wire coming off, but again, it's lacking on the rocker switch control diagram I've found on-line.

Maybe I shouldn't be mixing and matching the 2 manuals, but it's all I could find. Wondering if a more complete manual exists out there that may help clear things up so I can get this plow operational before the snow flies!!!

Also wondering if anyone may have the plastic motor cover that mounts on the plow (this was also missing).

Thx,
    skoby

2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Skoby,

Since you have no serial # let me know whether the power unit is a Fenner or Monarch as this will determine which manual you should be using. BTW welcome to plowsite.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

OK if you have an F coil you have a MT/HT. does your manifold look like the one on page 16 in this manual
    http://www.snoway.com/service/Parts Manuals/97100740f.pdf

You are going to have a hard time making a switched harness for this manifold, it can be done but will require a few diodes to get to work properly. It was designed for pulse signal circuit board controls and uses certain valves in more then one operation.

4. skoby

skoby Junior Member

Thanks for the quick response guys!
    I have a Monarch (printed on the reservior tank and cap).
    And yep, the manifold I have is the one shown on page 15 of the manual.

I found 2 pages for the controls, one page was for the joystick - which did call out the use of diodes, but the other page had DPDS rocker switches which I'm hoping will work.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You're trying to use the schematic for the Fenner manifold on the Monarch manifold

6. skoby

skoby Junior Member

So does anyone have the wiring schematic for the Monarch?

thx.

7. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

As basher states it will be difficult to make your own control for this model as the control has a power, ground, and signal wire which pulses signals out to the valves. Here is the manual with the wiring diagram.

http://www.snoway.com/service/Owner Manuals/97100727E.pdf

Curious why you wouldn't just buy the control for the plow since it is available. For the amount of time you will put into this it might just be worth the money and save the headache IMO.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

you don't need a wiring diagram, it's all under the cover. there's a sticker that tells you each function and it's corresponding coils. wire from there, couple tips; you'll need a few diodes as individual coils have dual functions and a voltage reducer on the power in as the unit is designed to operate at 10 volts.

9. skoby

skoby Junior Member

In figure 2-1 of the manual shows some sort of a control box on the plow. The plow I purchased does not have this control box between the 2 metal legs located in front of the reservoir (see attached photo). This could explain the wiring color issues......
    So, the plow does not have wiring on the solenoids, it does not have a controller on the plow, it does not have a joystick (no wiring of any kind), what you see in the photo is all I have.
    It also does not have the cover with any of the stickers basher mentions below.

So, I don't think I need to worry about the 10 volt drop, I plan to wire from rocker switches direct to the solenoids (no control box in between).

Does anyone have a copy of this sticker, this is one of the missing pieces that I need.

Just curious, what would it cost me to buy all the wiring for this thing (control box on plow, joystick, all harnesses)? My guess is that it will be rather steep.....

SnoWay plow photo.jpg

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Email Me at snowtech @ basherandson.com about pricing.