1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno-way plow on S10?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by me1223, Dec 3, 2005.

1. me1223

me1223 Member

Well, I have a 1998, 6cyl, 4x4 chev.s10 and I would like to know if it is possible to put a sno-way plow (ST-6'8") on it. Will this horribly destroy and components of the truck? If so is it possible to upgrade these parts so they will be capaple of plowing.

Planned use for the plow is to plow small commercial lots, (less than 1acre) and to plow residential driveways. As well I would like to put a tailgate spreader on, any reccomendations?

Thanks for your help in advance.:redbounce

2. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

My thoughts on this is that it isnt the plow that does the damage. in most cases it is the driver using the plow. Of course a plow will put extra wear on a vehicle. But 9 out of 10 times it is the driver that ruins the truck.

3. me1223

me1223 Member

are there any parts on the truck which would wear out faster when carring or useing a plow that could be beefed up before to prevent the need to replace them in the future?

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

if it is an automatic, you MUST have an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler, I like to add an electric fan and a fluid temp gauge so you can monitor it. You will be amazed how fast that tranny fluid gets hot when you start plowing. Don't be afraid to use 4 low if you are able to, the trans only works half as hard in 4 low. I learned that from a transmission rebuilder, and it is true, you can watch it on the temp gauge. Only problem is you have to go really slow and that isnt always appropriate. If it's a stick then you obviously don't need to worry about that. Maybe have the cooling system flushed and change the thermostat, that's another thing that'll get ya. It is possible to crank the torsion bars to help carry the weight, but I wouldn't bother, doing only a little plowing and carrying a lightweight plow. The Snoway ST is exactly what I would put on an S-10, they are good and reliable but super light. Other than that, good tires that are properly inflated and I'd guess about 300 lbs of ballast secured behind the rear wheels, or a tailgate spreader. I like the hitch mounted spreaders. Don't hammer on it like animal, just let the truck do the work and you'll be fine. I just got rid of an 89 S-10 that had a 7 foot steel Fisher that was a little on the big and heavy side, but the truck had over 200k on it and that big plow didn't hurt it.

5. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i jst picked up the blizzard 720LT on my 96' s10...the snoway ST is made for that size truck...as long as you dont slam into things and take it easy then you will be fine thats what i do...as for a salter i was looking at the Buyers SUV tailgate spreader it holds 300LBs good for that truck...but the ST's are good nice light weight and if you get 22'' that would be good...but good luck

6. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I got an old western 7 footer on my 93 s-10 and with around 300 pounds in the back it handles it fine, problem tho is these have very little travel and its almost bottomed out with the plow on. If you look at fromt eh side it's level and most would say handles it awesome, just expect a rougher ride with the plow on.

7. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

We have a lot of S-10s on the road plowing in Buffalo. They make a fine plow truck. You will need the trans cooler if it's an automatic and some ballast in the bed. I have owned a sno-way st for two seasons now and I have been very happy with it. :D You will definitely want to get the down pressure option, it really makes a difference. I'm looking for a Jeep for next season and it will definitely get a sno-way also.