1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno way plow keeps creeping down Lobo 28 V

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by ABMN1, Jan 2, 2009.

1. ABMN1

ABMN1 Junior Member
    from Utah

I'm told that the lift cylinder could make my plow go down during transport is there any way you can check for this before i buy a new one and what else should i be looking for?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Do you have Down Pressure? If so does the unit cycle constantly when you engage it?

3. ABMN1

ABMN1 Junior Member
    from Utah

yes it does have down pressure and no it doesn't cycle constantly. I took the doen valve out and blow it out with air but blade still drops. Would you replace the valve or the lift cylinder or both. And how much would the parts cost my zip is 84104

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Normally if the lift ram is failing the DP will cycle regularly. Like every 15/30 seconds. Does the unit stay up overnight if you leave it in the raised position?

5. ABMN1

ABMN1 Junior Member
    from Utah

basher, I misunderstood your last question Yes it does cycle every 3 to 5 seconds when the DP is on. I was told that this is normal a couple of years ago, what should the DP cycle be like if running right.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That's not a bad cycle rate, normally a failed cylinder cycles faster then that. That's not the say you don't have a failing cylinder. does it maintain lift if left over night? Does it drift down to a certain point then stop?

7. ABMN1

ABMN1 Junior Member
    from Utah

You can see it dropping down, I have to constantly lift the blade. It will drop until it hits the ground with no stopping in-between

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

And you've checked the lift valve to be certain it's correct.? It's just rare that the lift cylinder fails with out the down pressure rapidly cycling.

9. ABMN1

ABMN1 Junior Member
    from Utah

How do you check the valve, I removed it and to the best I could make sure nothing in the valve by blowing air though the holes.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

using a blunt instrument push to see if the internal piston moves freely, opens and closes completely and that all the o rings are good. you can also check to see if you are getting low voltage electric to the coil (doubtful.) Next would be the check valve. it could have a little debris in it or the spring could be getting weak.

Here's the owners manual with troubleshooting guide.

http://www.snoway.com/service/Owner Manuals/97100438c.pdf

and the parts manual to help identify

http://www.snoway.com/service/Parts Manuals/97100465g.pdf

Let us know what you find.

11. ABMN1

ABMN1 Junior Member
    from Utah

Can you buy a rebiuld kit for the lift cylinder?

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes we stock rebuild kits. They do require a certain amount of knowledge to install and there are a couple un-commen tools that are helpful (necessary). It can be a hassle and often not a improvement. If the cause is a pitted or damaged cylinder bore you will have the same issue soon if not immediately. Cost wise the labor bill normally prohibits a savings if you have it professionally rebuilt.

All that said we have both (new and rebuild kits) in stock.

13. Hooker751

Hooker751 Member

Hi Basher
    My 28V Plow is doing the same thing while I drive down the road and then I have to hit the lift up button again. I dowm remember if it has ever came down all the way on me before while I was driving. I put it in the up postion right now and will check it later to see if goes all the way down to the ground and let you know. The DP seems to be cycling about every 5 0r 6 seconds to my best of hearing it , so not sure what that means for sure. Can you tell me if mine is OK at that cycle? I do have the manual in front of me and looked at the trouble shooting guide, but I think mine says to refer to the Dealer on this problem. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????
    Harold

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Hooker751 it sounds like you need a lift cylinder. You could have a weak DP relief causing the fast cycle on the DP circuit but the drift down problem and the fast cycle point to a failing lift ram. If you can not find it locally we keep them in stock.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  15. Hooker751

Hooker751 Member

Is this hard to replace and is it costly???? Do you think a Dealer should check it out for me and fix it?

16. Hooker751

Hooker751 Member

Thanks again. I will get back to you if they don't have it here local at one of my Dealers.

17. Hooker751

Hooker751 Member

Hay Basher
    I just went outside and the plow is on the ground from the lift postion. So,,,,,,,,,,, that means I need to invest in a new lift cylinder right????? Or do they also sale rebuild one also Or would you recommend that this one get a rebuild kit put in it???? Harold

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They do not sell rebuilt, I stock rebuild kits if you want to go that way. I suggest careful inspection of the interior bore before a rebuild. If the interior's pitted there is no sense in wasting the time and money as you will shortly be in the same position you're in now.

19. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Make sure to replace the hydraulic hose on the front of the cylinder ( the end closest to the blade). It gets a severe kink in it and will fatigue. crack and then leak. I have replaced mine twice. Napa makes a replacement hose ALOT cheaper then the factory one. It is a pretty easy job to replace the cylinder and hose.

20. Hooker751

Hooker751 Member

Thanks for the help here. I will be looking into this cylinder and hose tomorrow. Good to have this site.