1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sno-way or hiniker

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ed salvatore, Aug 31, 2005.

1. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum and seeing lots of helpful information. I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab and am trying to decide on a new plow. I do several driveways and a small lot or two. Like to get away from Fisher since past paint peel problems have soured me, and I'd like a back drag option. I'm seriously looking into the Hiniker 8000 C ($4900 installed) or especially the Sno-way Poly 29 TE w/down pressure ($4600 installed). Anybody have any experience with either, especially the back drag feature on them. How well do they really work, or is down pressure or flip over just a gimmick?

I'm just having a really tough time believing that the Sno-way will scrape down CLEAN with only 200lbs (I thought was 500lbs., but dealer told me 200lbs) of down pressure????? I picture putting a 200lb weight on the blade to backdrag and this is suppose to be equivalent to the down pressure force??

Also, if sno-way, poly or steel suggestions?
    Plow prices are sure climbing here in New England!!
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

No plow will scrape clean no matter what you do!
    If you can't wrench your own stuff you need to go with a supplier that is close and gives you the best service and parts.
  3. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

The SnoWay has plenty of downpressure. It has a better design, very good hydraulics, and a good mounting system. We have used them for years without trouble. Go for the remote control, a very handy tool.
  4. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

Check out the Blizzard snowplow they back drag pretty well because the cutting edge position.
  5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

They are both "mutt" plows............

There are better choices out there..................
  6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

If back draggin is that big of a deal for you maybe you should consider a read plow, which is more suited for situations like that.

I cannot comment on the performance of either of the plows, but my western 8' pro-plow back drags well enough for my purposes.

One think I can comment on is the sno-way clear poly is that when it gets real cold it will crack because they get very brittle in extreme cold. A guy I know went through 2 moldboards in one day.
  7. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

Sno-way/SONJAAB Knucklehead

Thank you all for your replies., except SONJAAB. You are a knucklehead/idiot with nothing to offer.

I think I will be going with the 8' Sno-way with trip edge/down pressure and let you know how it is. I have had it with chains and peeling Fishers, and the back drag down pressure is a fantastic idea. For $4500 if it's no good, I'll switch.

Thanks again to all who replied. Safe & profitable plowing!

Ed, Boston
  8. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I have been in the snow business for well over a decade. I purchased a 9 ft. snoway ht 25, steele blade plow with wireless remote & downpressure. Three seasons going on four, great,great,plow. Light,strong,fast & reliable. We have used fisher & curtis in the past and they are both good products,but they take a back seat to sno-way all day long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

Lawn king

Hey there,
    Thanks a lot for the reply. Please let me know where you bought yours. Sounds like you have a nice set up. I'm dealing with a fellow in Melrose and Manchester NH. Both about $4400-$4500 for the 29TE poly. Supposedly, a Boston area south dealer is coming????

I'm really leaning to the steel since the Lexan, just looks weaker (I'm probably too old fashioned). But, after years of peeling paint Fisher plows :cool: , I'm also a bit hesitant to go painted steel again with the poly being unpainted, clean and no snow stick. The Sno-way dealers also "swear" that a trip edge is not needed on the Sno-way because they never fold over like the old Meyers and Westerns. They only added it as an option because people wanted it after years of Fisher. But, I'm still leaning towards the trip edge. Your thoughts on ploy vs. steel, and trip edge or not????????????????????

Really interested in your thoughts and experience. It scrapes pretty clean on back dragging?? feel free to email me at Mach428@kaxy.com.
    Thanks again :)
  10. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

ED........BOO HOO !!!!!!!!! :cry:
  11. lawn king

Hi ed, i purchased my rig at truck quip in middleboro, ma.iwanted a pro. installation as it's a big plow on a 14000 gvw dumptruck. There is a dealer in peabody, allens auto trim. I like the full trip blade myself, i have the regular steele blade you may want to go stainless. If you have the choice go for the wireless joystick. They say the lexan is stronger than steele but there are some issues with light reflecting back and they will shatter if you say hit a pipe end on. The robitic welding is like nothing i have ever seen and i have been in lawn care for 28 years. The price you we're saying $4500. seems high,again i purchased my plow in 03 and steele has gone way up since then. Let me know how you make out when all is don'e. Scott
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  12. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

A comment on the Down Pressure. The 29 TE if I'm not mistaken already ways roughly 600 pounds. The addition of the down force adds an additional 200 pounds of downword force to the mouldboard creating a total of 800 pounds of force. Ergo 200 pounds may not seem like a lot but when you add it to the exhisting weight of the plow, it becomes quite a bit. This is why Snoway's make the claim that they can make a lighter weight plow scrape like a heavy weight steel plow.

Good luck!

99 GMC Sonoma ZR2
    2003 Snoway MT 6'8" Lexan
    w/ Downpressure
  13. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

Thanks L. King/Corkireand, 1972 GTO - HA-HA

Thanks folks for the help.

Gotta love that SONJAAB :cry:

But really, I have to say, a detuned, low compression 1972 GTO, come on, talk about a MUTT! I don't think I'd admit to that.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  14. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Why do you have to get upset that he said there were better plows out there. So, he told you what he thought and you couldn't accept it so you had to throw a punch about his GTO please. Grow up the people here wont steer you wrong. If you think so go to another site.

15. Keep Shoping

Ed, If you have looked around and are happy with this plow then go for it. My Suggestion is that you check out Boss Plows. Www.bossplow.com This is what i run and have been VERY happy with it. It is truely way more heavy duty than a snoway. I have an 8ft super duty/heavy duty straight blade and i love it!. THe price is cheaper too! I believe they are only $3900 or so?!

Also if you are interested in scraping have you ever considered a rear plow on your truck? I have a rear plow and hydrolic pump that has 2200 psi of down pressure and will actually lift the back tires of my truck off the ground. It scrapes quite well! IF you can weld you can build one of these yourselft to use WITH your front blade and all in all you shoudl spend aroudn $1600 on the back blade. If your intersed i can put pics up.

Please at least check out the boss plows, I HAVE run snoway, but nothing has impressed me like my boss

any questions? feel free to drop me an email: jonalke12@yahoo.com
  16. LExan

:) Just a little note that i forgot to throw in......LEXAN IS WHAT BULLETPROOF GLASS IS MADE FROM!!! :) :)
  17. lawn king

sno-way downpressure

Our dumptruck is not 4 wheel drive. When we get in a situation when we have to plow down hill into a dead end (although rare) we engauge the downpressure. The D.P. engaugement scrapes down to the road surface so the're are no traction issues backing uphill. We don't use the D.P. very much, but it's nice to have when you need it. If you like to stack the snow high, you will love sno-way. If you need support, call snoway, they can talk you through most problems. I had a little confusion with my remote, i purchased a spare and couldn't tune it. Ther'e was no problem, each time you tune a remote it sets at a different frequency, this allows multiple wireless sno-way trucks to work together, with no control issues. Sno-way is a great plow and a great company, some people her'e just hate them, just the way it is,however,most members of plowsite are good people who are happy to share info. and help each other out. Snow work is a must for us, fertilizing stops but our bills don't. We would rather watch the blizzards on tv from palm beach!
  18. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

There is a lot of mythology about the Lexan moldboards, BUT I'd go for the stainless which is a dream to maintain. (It wasn't out when we bought our last one) Steel prices are through the roof. Look for everyone's prices to climb. Shipping is also skyrocketing.

As for trip edge, you east coast guys have had it for a looong time, so SnoWay added it. We have never particularly had trip edge plows in the midwest. In ten years with SnowWay, we never encountered anything that the full trip wouldn't handle. Even the refinery lot we used to plow with valve boxes every 10 feet.
  19. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

20. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Well I fI had my choice of Sno-way lenan and steel to stop a bullet I would go for steel... I am telling oyu that stuff is brittle in extreme cold weather... I know some one who shattered two in one day....he HIT NOTHING... just was so cold out...