1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sno-way or fisher

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by towelman, Dec 15, 2004.

1. towelman

towelman Junior Member
    from idaho

I am in a delema I have a 94 Ford Ranger that I use for my home Bus. The Bus. has to go out in any weather no matter what. Last year I did not have this problem but I was liveng by the my now custumers and ran to town for some milk When I got stuck there for 2hr until the plow came.

This year I am going to put on a plow. the dealer that i am working with is a Fiser and Sno-way dealer he said Snow-way

What should I do?

2. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

not trying to be smart.. but am i reading this right.. you just want the plow to be able to drive into town and back?

3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Are you taking about the new LD Homesteader plow by Fisher vs a SnoWay?

4. towelman

towelman Junior Member
    from idaho

Yes my brother has the same problem with his small business and chains did not work for him when he went out it took him two vehicle to get to the same places that I have to go to also.

We will also be doing a parking lot for our businesses.

Yes it is the Homesteader by Fisher

5. Tarkus

If it is that bad that tire chains will not carry you through, it is unlikey that a Homesteader or Snoway will either try to clear a path to town on such a light truck. You really need a big old heavy beater truck with possible a Vee plow if you are blazer a trail on road in snow the tire chains will not take you through. Sorry if I seem like a downer about it.

6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I still am a bit confused. :confused: :dizzy:

You want to get a plow for your truck just so you can drive into town???

7. Tarkus

I think he wants to be able to plow his way to town too. I have been through Idaho in winter and they can get some serious snow in some areas.

8. towelman

towelman Junior Member
    from idaho

Yes I need to get to and from town so that i can make my deliveries to my costumers in a timely manner but when i am out and about i will be going 45-50 miles out in the county side with only a cell phone if i get stuck

9. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

So you want to plow the roads that you have to travel on??? Isn't this illegal if the town/city/county/state is responsible?? If not then I imagine it would be an insurance nightmare because if some one gets into an accident on a road you plowed they will go after you. Also a Ford Ranger would be up to the task would fall apart plowing long stretches of road. How about you just get a good 4x4, some good tires, and use common sense. If it looks like you are going to get stuck, then you are just going to have to wait, I am sure your customers will understand.

10. towelman

towelman Junior Member
    from idaho

thank you for scaring the crap out of me (not being smart) and putting me on the right path because i never even thought about the insurance thing at all but people are getting lawsuit happy these days maybe i will put that idea on the back burner for a long time (rest of my life)

I am grateful for your suggestions they are a life saver!!!!

11. RJNewman

RJNewman Junior Member

wow- this was some thread???

I guess it doesnt snow much in PaKastan?

12. Tarkus

Its not illegal, I have dne it a few times for a few miles to get home myself and opend up road for nieghbors to get to work to on occaision but a ranger is NOT up to that task.

13. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Just an idea but how much stuff do you have to deliver to your customers on these snowy days? You might think about a snowmobile. They make some heavy duty utility machines that will pack a quite a load and tow a sled behind. If you can't get through with chains on a 4wd you would spend all day plowing a trail or you could just hop on your snowmobile and be done..

14. Tarkus

Not a bad idea at all. Some heated grips and through in a heated suit too and it would not be bad at all and you would make a lot better time too than you would in a 4x4 with or without a plow. I have covered over 150 miles in a day with ease on a snomobile in years past and it was not a bad ride either. Even my wife has done over 100 miles on one in a day.

15. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

are you going into the buisness im co :dizzy: nfused

16. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Iam confused, well, a little bit. Just scrap the idea of plowing your way into town, the big roads when covered in deep snow are ment to be plowed by VERY big trucks like what the D.O.T. uses. No personal truck will be up to the task not just your ranger. You could plow 6" off those roads with out a problem but not 3' for example.

Now as to the original question, you need to plow what, your drive and a parking lot? In this case, you do need a plow and not just to "get into town" as others keep talking about. Thats fine. I would not go with the homesteader, go with the Fisher LD 6'9" if they let you or get a snoway. there are much better light duty plows then the homesteaders. The homesteader is not built to resemble anything else on the fisher line. Whereas little snoways are built just like the big snoways. The truck will be fine if your smart about it. Load it up with some weight in the back and your all set. Only carry the plow around when you need it to plow otherwise take it off between snow storms to save the stress on the truck. You should be able to handle about 15" and under with the ranger, probley more then 15". Plow with the storm though like every 4" or so if you can. Don't let it get ahead of you, this is true for any truck. My opinion, go with the Snoway!
    Good Luck :waving:

17. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Join the club

Why dont you take a look at the HomePro 3000? Excellent choice with I was on the fence with what I wanted, and looked at www.curtiscab.com and look at the HomePro. It is a 7 foot poly plow with the Hitch and Run system. Its 24 inches tall I beleive, but it doesn't matter how tall the plow is it's how you plow. Like Chris said if you plow with the storm you will have no problems with beating on your plow and truck.
    Jason

18. Tarkus

Curtis is a good plow but you are going to need more than a Ranger to push it if you are trying to open roads regularly.

19. Tarkus

I disagree. I live in the country and on occaision I have had to plow through snow in excess of 2 feet to get out in A.M. and have done so without problem. If you have the right plow and enough weight, 2 feet is not a problem. Not for me anyway but I would not even remotely attempt it in a light weight truck.

20. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, iam talking about plowing 10 miles of mountain roads into town, not just a mile or so. In other words, none of us would suggest that he plow as you would with a FWD snowfiter and a big wing on it. I know you can plow 2', i have done it with my F-150, i just would not use it to open mountain passes.