1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sno way need help no power

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by john1122, Oct 28, 2014.

1. john1122

john1122 Junior Member
    from ny

hooking up old sno way plow with wired remote just got a new remote and it will not power up how do I check this out I know nothing about sno way plows I am thinking I need a new receiver module but want to know before I go spend 400 bucks can anyone help please

2. NE-Parts

NE-Parts Junior Member

How many pin plug on the controller harness? Also, do you know what model plow, and is it down pressure or gravity down?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

When you tried to turn it on did you hold the on/off and Down pressure button at the same time?

4. john1122

john1122 Junior Member
    from ny

I did first I had a very dim red on the controller and no green light then I had nothing at all I check I had 5 volts coming into the controller

5. john1122

john1122 Junior Member
    from ny

3 pins on controller plug have 5 volts on one pin the plow does have down psi and I believe its a 26 series plow

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

5 volts is correct. you say you get a green light? If so does it flicker when you press a button? Do you have power to the red wire with the white stripe.

7. john1122

john1122 Junior Member
    from ny

I do not get a green light and yes I get power to red wire with white stripe

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Take the plug on the controller apart (carefully) do it without spinning the wires in the plug. Check and see if one or more are broken.

9. john1122

john1122 Junior Member
    from ny

the controller is brand new just picked it up the other day

10. john1122

john1122 Junior Member
    from ny

I have 5 volts coming into the controller I only have 1 volt on the 3 amp fuse don't know if that means anything

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

check the plugs on the plow and truck harness for broken wires, could be the ground is broken if the light isn't lighting. Did yopu try it directly at the plow? If so then if the module is good and all the connections clean I would guess a broken ground not allowing the controller to power up.

If you have a local snoway dealer take it to him. Shouldn't take an experienced tech more than an hour to diagnose and repair regardless of what it is.

12. john1122

john1122 Junior Member
    from ny

I did try all that an yes the controller is hooked up at the plow. I used a power probe grounds are good that why I think I have a bad controller receiver module the brain at the plow but I am not 100% that's why I asked if there was a way to test but I might just have to go spend the 400 and hope for the best

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you are buying a new module why not spend a little more and get a upgrade to the new yellow controller? You can get the entire kit (control, module harnesses, etc,) for $499.

14. john1122

john1122 Junior Member
    from ny

I have not seen the upgrade for less than 500 and I already just got a new controller if I would have know then it would have made sense to purchase the upgrade now I have 600 into it

15. john1122

john1122 Junior Member
    from ny

hey there guys I am back I replaced the module everything works now my problem is the plow goes up and down and left and right However if I use down psi the plow doesn't go up the motor just runs I checked the solenoid screw diver sticks to them so where am I to go from here must be a valve sticking or something is my guess but where do I start

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Under the Pump cover is a chart. It tells you which valves and coils are active during each function. Clean and inspect the featured valves.

17. john1122

john1122 Junior Member
    from ny

I did look at that but that only tells you the valves and coils it activates now I might be wrong but isn't there other valves that work with the down psi like a psi stick or things like that I am going to clean the other ones tomorrow

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

are you sure your unit has DP?

There is a switch and a DP relief valve. you can clean them also. a dirty relief valve couldn't stop it from trying, but the unit would run constantly if it couldn't build PD pressure, you might have a bad pressure switch, but clean the valves first.

19. john1122

john1122 Junior Member
    from ny

sorry I have been crazy busy a lot of stuff came up all at once Anyways thanks for the advise I will give it a try in the next day or two also another question 96 dodge ram 1500 when plow is hooked up the plow lights only work with brights and turn off brights then plow lights go out and truck lights come on when plow is unhooked I have no brights on the truck any clue where I should start I must say first snow way I hade I do like the plow but I never hade so much trouble hooking one up I am a old meyer western guy

20. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Should like you have a connection problem but Basher is the one that can help you out with expert advice.