1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno way merged

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by BKFC255, Oct 17, 2009.

1. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

I called a a local sno way dealer to get service and some new parts for my plow and told me they were merging with some landscape company. Thats if I heard him right. sno way droped him last year because he was a small dealer and did not sell the volume they wanted him to do. Now they are trying to get him back. But he said things have stalled for sno way. just checking to see if anyone else has heard of this.

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

That makes no sense at all.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

He is probably talking about the new Snoway distributor KPM. They distribute lawn and garden equipment as well as Snoway Plows. Last year the factory had minimum purchase requirements, could be your dealer did not want to buy the quantity Snoway required for direct purchase.

This year everybody buys from the distributor, no one is allowed to talk to the factory anymore. I think they want to buffer themselves from the complaints from last years Mega fiasco. There is no one factory direct regardless of the quantity of units purchased. Is the reason a number of larger Snoway dealers have abandoned the brand, while others (like me) are decreasing their volume and adding other brands. It also means anybody who wants to be a Snoway dealer can. No more whole unit or parts inventory requirements. Just a sign on the door and a KPM account.

I think you will see Snoway in more lawn and garden equipment dealerships and smaller shops without the $$ for inventory, while the larger Plow dealerships will move to other brands with direct factory connections. It's a shame, they have a good product in what they refer to as the legacy line but I think their attitude towards their larger dealer customer and their producing products with-out considering what the dealer/customer wants will cost them both dealers and sales. Hard to be considered a major player in the industry when your average dealer stocks zero units and even less service inventory.

I am not trashing KPM or their ability to provide service, it's the dealer level where (IMO) the issues will come to play. Increasing the volume of dealers is not the best for the company nor the customer. You would think that they would learn from the auto industry, look at the number of car dealers that the factories are closing down. They have learned you need a strong quality dealer base and to produce products the customer wants, not the products you want to build, rather then a large dealer base trying to sell products designed with-out regard or input from the customer.

4. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Exactly what I've been going through here. All noted in this thread http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=84570

Hey!! Maybe I'll become a "dealer" and only stock parts for my own plow!!!!:drinkup:

Thank God for Basher!!! He's been a big help the last few weeks, and the only one (besides Kim) who hasen't let me down in the SW world!!!lol

5. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

well it makes me wonder if I should sell my plow and go with a HT or something.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Why, If you are happy with it, did your dealer close?

7. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Just to clarify, the only reason I am so heated about this is the fact that the only good dealer in my area closed. If they were still open I would certainly be setting up the next truck with all SW, and I wouldn't be looking for a spreader as I would have already bought one from them. If you like the products as much as I do and have decent dealer support, there's no reason to break away from them.

8. BKFC255

BKFC255 Senior Member

I bought it used so I have two dealers well three now. I just wasnt happy with the first two, and the guy that I just talked to is honest with me his father is an old timer in my fd. so he will treat me well.