1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno-way lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbelandscape, Nov 27, 2002.

1. jbelandscape

jbelandscape Member

I just got a one year old sno-way plow from my old boss, however it does not have the light head gear. After already spending $700+ on the truck mount for my '02 2500HD I really do not want to spend $350 for the light kit. My question is, what is necessary to hook up lights to my truck, if I was to buy some cheap plow lights from northern $79, and fabricate my own light gear? Do I need a specific harness or can you just splice and use your own connections? Thank you in advance.

Jeff

2. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

The plow light harness that comes from snoway I believe is truck specific in that it plugs into your existing lights for the truck you're using, which then allows you to switch the lights from the truck lights to the plow lights (either by relay or manually - I think all new light kits are now on relay system). I suppose if you were talented/creative you could figure out how to circumnavigate the wiring for the head lights without their harness.

My take on it is that for $350.00 - you've got all the fabricating, wiring and materials done and ready to install. It's worth the $350.00.

3. jbelandscape

jbelandscape Member

The only reason that I do not want to pay the money, is that, I am pretty much leasing the plow for the season for free, and I even get a backup plow too. My old boss gave me his residentials for this year and still subs his comercials out. I hopefully will be doing more commercial next year and I plan on getting a Western MVP. I don't want to put more money into a plow I don't even own. I am going to Judco in Elyria today to see if I can just get a harness for my truck.

Jeff

4. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

My feelings are:

... considering the fact that you have a brand new, expensive truck, why take the chance of boogering up the wiring and other potentially involved circuits to save $250 or so? If something went wrong, in the end you sure would regret it and besides, depending on how you re-wire things, it could void the truck's factory warranty. I believe a factory harness is designed so as not to interfere with warranties, provided, they are installed properly.

5. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

jbelandscape..... yes you can use the $79.00 lights from northern.
    Sno-way sells a wiring kit for those headlights. I have the same truck and the "cheap" headlights. The only option you don't recieve is "daytime running lights" when the blade is on. But i really think its a bonus.

the part #'s are 99100197 Harness package $37.00
    99100411 Adapter $25.00

I took my plow off a 2001 Ford so i needed both parts.

6. jbelandscape

jbelandscape Member

I went to a dealer today that does not sell snoway, and I talked to the mechanic. He strongly suggested that I do not try to wire it myself with out the harness, some guy came in last week with a new f250 and wired his lights, and ended up frying stuff. Hopefully, I will be able to sell my mount and head gear next year and recoup some of my money.

Jeff

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

That blade is light, and wont tax the front end very much. If it was me, I would just run wth out lights, use the truck headlights.
    Dino

8. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

had a 94 f250 with a snoway lexan blade and no plow lights, the truck sat high enuf that i could use the regular lights.
    dan

9. MJStrain

MJStrain Junior Member
    from 5

Just a thought. If you have a U-Haul dealer in your area that installls hitches, the young man behind the counter will probably not only be able to tell you how but for a few bucks under the table, he'd probably do it for you. Those hitch guys have baled me out more than once!

10. 95zII

95zII Junior Member

Dino's correct you could just run with your truck headlights. If you think you might like to do that you may just want to check your local and state laws. Up here in Vermont the law requires that if you have a plow on the truck then you have to have plow lights.

11. tacraven

tacraven Junior Member

There are currently 2 light packages for the snoway on ebay. Use keyword "sno way" and check twice a week or so. No wiring seen on ebay for snoway.

12. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

It is clear, so why not use your stock lights. If that is not enough, put on some secondary lights. This way you will have more lights on the truck and you can use them all year around. I am sure that can be as cheap as $50.

13. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

I have a 7.5' sno-way on my F-150 and I just recently put lights on it. You don't really NEED them, but they are nice thing to have when your plow is covered in snow and ice. I had someone fabricate the light tower out of corner iron, with a little black paint looks like a brand new stock light tower. As far as wiring, don't go cheap on the lights. Get a set of Western plow lights
    that already have a harness pre-fabbed that fits your truck headlights. Otherwise, you'll be spending many hours making your own wiring harness. Not to mention splicing into your trucks wiring, which I don't think you want to do on such a new truck. :waving:

14. jbelandscape

jbelandscape Member

I ended up buying the lights from sno-way. I really felt that they helped alot in seeing at night. I have since returned the plow to my old boss and I currently have a 8.6 western pro-plus out front. I stopped doing residentials, my truck is to big, and now just do commercial. The difference between the two plows is rediculous, besides the size 7.6 to a 8.6, the build quality on the western is borderline excessive. The sno-way was a decent plow but I dont think it would hold up as well doing large lot plowing.

Jeff