1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno-way light subframe

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dodgerammer, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Dodgerammer

Dodgerammer Junior Member

Any of you know where you can find a light subframe to put on a snoway plow. Mine doesn't have the plow lights and is hard to see with just the truck lights. I was talking with my neighbor that used to have one and he said it almost looks like the previous owner took the lights off and maybe sold them. I asked a local snoway plow installer how much they charge and they said $340.00 to install the light subframe. I'd like to find it cheaper if at all possible. If I have to i'll probably have to break out the welder and torches and make my own. There's a truck at a local atv/sled dealer that has the same plow as mine with the lights. I was thinking of going to take a pic of it so that I could get an idea of how to make it. Any suggestions.

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Man, you might just have to get one from a dealer. All the plows are setup to take the light kit. They just bolt in. Then you have to deal with the headlight relays and stuff. That price from the dealers does not sound too bad. If you want to do it cheap, then you might want to setup a light kit that doesn't relay through the headlights, but has it's own wiring and a switch in the cab. Then of course you have to think about the blinkers. I can send you a pic of my light attachment if you want. It will be off a 96 25 series snoway.

3. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

Why didnt it come with it?

At that price i would fabricate one myself. The steel is cheap enough. The only thing that might be somewhat spendy is the wiring and headlamps.

4. Dodgerammer

Yeah kent if you have a pic handy that would be great. I know the hardest part would be the lights but i'd probably just run separate wires for the plow lights and have a separate switch. Then when I was plowing just keep the parking lights on and switch on the plow lights. I didn't think $340 was too bad until I seen what the light subframe consisted of. Its like 4 flat steel bars, and 2 headlights. As for the blinkers on the plow frame i'd just hook it up so that when the plow was attached all blinkers(on the truck and plow) would blink.

Gusco, the truck had the plow on it when I bought it. I just thought that that was just the style plow I had, that it didn't come with lights. Until of course I started looking at other people plow setups. Most snoways have the light subframe and have only seen a few without the lights, mainly the st series that are much smaller blades.

5. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

$340 is not bad, last year when I got my Snoway, one dealer told me it would be an extra $500 for the light bar and install. And it is really nothing more than a few bolt on parts, the wiring might be much. You can fabricate your own I would think and just put a set of driving lights on it and hook them up to a separate switch.

6. oldmankent

Just looked at my light setup. It is actually kinda involved. The light bar interconnects with the lift pivot bolts and the three connection pins. Good luck fabbing the thing up. I"ll try some pics. I'll take some right now and post them later tonight. Hopefully you can make something from them.

7. oldmankent

Scratch the pics. camera battery dead. will try tomorrow.

8. Dodgerammer

Yeah from the one I looked at it is quite complex but as long as you have some pics to go by you can easily figure it out. If you can't put any pics up of your rig its ok, I know of a guy at a local snowmobile dealership that always has his plow on, i'll just take a pic of his. What it consists of is it's bolted the the passenger side of the top mount on the plow. There's 3 rings that your top pin only goes thru the driver side 2. So when you have the light assembly you push the light frame towards the truck so that you can put that pin through another hole on the light subframe and thru the 2 right most holes. Then you put your 2 bottom pins in. I'm probably making this much more confusing but there really isn't much to it.

9. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

Why don't you just put a light bar on the roof with a couple of lights. IT will be easier and will look pretty cool. Use that when plowing and when driving just lower the plow enough so that your stock lights are above the plow, since its illegal to drive with roof light on (I thing). I would do that insead of messing around with that light setup.

10. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

interestingly enough, their is a guy around here who has a snoway without a light kit. what he did was just bought a set of driving lights ($20@ walmart) and he just bolted them onto the top of the plow. just angle them in the right position, when the plow is down, the truck lights will do most of the work, when the plow is raised these lights will help.