1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno-Way Hydro

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by J.Henderson, Dec 2, 2001.

1. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

What kind of hydro fluid goes in a sno-way? Just picked on up but no label on adding fluid on tank. Any answers?

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Last edited: Dec 2, 2001
  3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

If it's new, use the Sno-Way oil to prevent any hassles over your warranty. If it's used, find a source for synthetic ATF and run that. I use Amsoil ATF in all three of ours and can't see any difference other than the cost.

4. J.Henderson

It is a used plow. I did a search finally( sorry plowking) and read that you (Alan) use Amsoil ATF. This is what I will try and find. The fluid that was in it was red so I asume it wasn't the hydro oil. Would Artic Blue work? The local plow shop sells this.

5. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Sno-Way Fluid

Sno-Way fluid is Type 5606 this is rated at -60 if not available can use Exxon Univis J13 or compatible. So the answer is anything can be used as long as it crosses over to the Type 5606 especially if you are just adding to the fluid and not draining the entire system. ATF is not recommeded.

6. J.Henderson

Now I am confused. One person says to use Amsoil ATF and the other says do not use atf at all. Will it damage my pump if I use ATF? Alan, you use Sno-Way religiously, yes or no?

7. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

For the past three years I've been running only Amsoil ATF. This is in plows that log many hours of use. No problems that I can see. Our oldest plow was bought in 94 and we've run ATF in that one since about 96, first regular ATF and since 98, Amsoil. While there may be some benefit to the factory oil, being rated to -60 is doubtful, in my opinion. For one thing it has never gotten to -60 around here, and secondly, how cold is it when it's snowing, usually in the 20s and rarely in the teens. All I can say it that it works for me, so I'll keep right on using ATF.

8. J.Henderson

Thanks Alan. Between you and Bryan I will have this plow figured out yet.

9. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

J.Henderson, I am simply stating what the factory specifications call for. If Alan has been running Amsoil ATF for years that is fine, but I cannot recommend it because I work for Sno-Way. You may want to consult your local dealer regarding the ramifications or using alternative hydraulic fluid verses 5606 type fluid.

10. J.Henderson

Now I am in a predicament. I cannot find Amsoil, 5606 or Univis J13 anywhere in my area. I am in The Quad Cities of Iowa/Illinois. If anyone knows any source, please let me know.

11. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

there is an Exxon dist. in Burlington,IA. Valley Dist. 319-752-6666 and there is a Sno-Way dealer in Moline,IL Quad City Spring 309-762-2956 for the 5606 fluid or check out our dealers on our website at www.snoway.com As for the amsoil, couldn't find anyone close to you. You may also try a Napa store for cross over products to the 5606 or Exxon Univis J13.

12. mtnbkn9

mtnbkn9 Member

Hey Jeff it looks like your going to need a new plow...just kidding...I'm glad you finally got it going...it may snow soon...see ya...:p