1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno-way for 98 F-150

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EasylyConfused, Nov 25, 2005.

1. EasylyConfused

EasylyConfused Junior Member

Yesterday I purchased a used, 1998 F-150 Extended Cab, 4x4 Off-Road, XL. (It's Blue!) It has a front Axel GVRW of 3400lbs. The Sno-way dealer suggested that the plow may be too much and put me just over the legal limit. He also suggested that if I put 650lbs of ballast in the back I may be able to just sneak under the limit. I'm looking at the MT series plow. The dealer told me it weighs 500-600lbs (Nice accurate number I know). Is that really enough to push me over the limit? Is this plow suicide for the truck? (Does the off road pakage have harder springs?)

Is there a lighter style plow? Does Western(?) have a plow with it's own wheel to hold some of the weight? Is snow bear my only option? I'm not using the plow for much now (2 drives and 2 gas station lots), but was looking at sno-way incase I get more into the snow removal business in the future. I figured I could take the plow and put in on a new 250 in the future (maybe 2 years).

2. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

According to the Snoway web site the MT 7'6" weighs 471-493# depending on the skin. I would think you would be fine......but that is a guess.

You would want a larger plow for an F250......like the 29 .......

I have snoway and really like the plows.....

3. MBB

MBB Senior Member

The Mt should be fine on the 150, due purchase a set of timbrens for the front end.You might need to crank up the trosion rods slightly (not all the way) or get a front end leveling kit for a little more clearance when transporting, Due add about 2-300lbs or so to the box right over the axel ( make sure it is secured you do not want it silding all over) this is to counter balance plow and give you better traction back there. Get the narrowest set of M/S load range d or e tires you can find. Passenger type tires do not have enough side wall plys for plowing. Wide tires look cool but are useless when plowing as they ride over the top of the snow pack hence loss of traction/ steering ect. If you have 16" rims you should be able to find these easily/ lot harder with the 17" or switch to 16" for the season. Hope this helps. Chris
    99 F150 4x4 7.5' Snoway Mt, Lexan mold board
    99 F350 4x4 Blizzard 810
    90 F150 4x4 Western 7.5'
    87 F350 desiel 4x4 Fisher 9'

4. EasylyConfused

EasylyConfused Junior Member

Does that include Hydrolic fluid?

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Your truck will be fine with a Snoway, I would add timbrens as said above and ballest is a must. A Snowbear is FAR from your only option. There are many more plows you could get besides a snowbear.

6. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

No...... but it does include Hydraulic fluid....