1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno Way electrical issue question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by snowdays, Nov 13, 2012.

1. snowdays

snowdays Senior Member
    from Ohio

I am helping a friend fix a Sno Way Predator plow. When the control is activated, it is sending power to all of the wires on all of the coils and both small terminal wires on the solenoid. Is the receiver bad? It is a wired controller

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It is ground side controlled (low side switched), all the coils should have power all the time.

3. snowdays

snowdays Senior Member
    from Ohio

So it would have power on both leads of each coil all of the time? I checked with the test light clipped to the main ground on the pump. There was 12V on each of the 2 terminals for each coil after a button on the controller was pushed. If I turn the controller off and then back on, there was no power at the coils until I hit a directional button on the controller.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Right it's your typical GROUND SIDE CONTROLLED multiplex system. 12 volts all the time, if you put your test light on the ground side of the coil it should go out when you give it a command.

In ground controlled systems 12 volts is the common wire not the ground.

5. snowdays

snowdays Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for the help. I discovered a bad ground on the truckside. The main ground connection for the plow was corroded.