1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno-pusher for 420 backhoe

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Dave S., Sep 25, 2006.

1. Dave S.

Dave S. Junior Member

I was wondering what kind of performance I could expect from a 10' wide Sno-pusher on a CAT 420D 4x4 backhoe.
    We are bidding a large parking area Aprox' 900' x 200'.
    I wonder about the traction of a backhoe on top of some packed and frozen snow.
    I have heard estimates of 30,000 - 50,000 sq. ft. per hour at 3" depth.

Any shared knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

With a 4wd 420 I would look at a 12 foot pusher. I would say you can def. cover 2 acres an hour.

3. Dave S.

Dave S. Junior Member

Thank you.

That really is a big help. I hope I can return some favors to this board, as I am brand new to the group.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You should do fine. We had one from a sub a few years ago, no problems as long as you have a decent operator. Had one before that, that didn't work out so well, but he got fired by the excavator as well.

5. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

it will do just fine pushing the snow with a 12' pusher.....but one thing i do with is that i could find a pusher with a steel trip edge....the rubber blade had a very hard time cutting through any kind of packed snow. the 420d is a great machine, i would say it might even push a 14' as long as you kept up with the snowfall....and that wouldnt be hard todo on a 2 acre lot...