1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno-Packer snow blower for BIG Loader, what's it worth?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by TheEquineFencer, Dec 24, 2009.

1. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

Sno-Packer snow blower for Loader, what's it worth? I have a buddy that bought one and does not have a use for it. It was bought at an auction. It's never been used, still has the shipping blocks on the blade edge. I did a Google search and cannot find the builders info. What's it worth? Does anyone want it? I told him I'd ask around and see what offers I could get for it. It's about 12-14 feet wide. Here's a link to a picture of it.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu145/TheEquineFencer/Allensstuff018.jpg

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

not sure what it would be worth, too bad it doesnt have a singel shute, or else i may have been interested,

3. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

Could you post a pic or the back of it ?? or send me some more pics?? what is the power sourse ? Hydro or PTO. Thanks Karl KCAPXIS@PTD.net

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's a monster. Usually something that big is self powered. Why is there a gap between the blower and the chute?

5. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

It's made to be used on something like a rubber tired loader. I'll try to post some pics later tonight.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm guessing that is designed for use at an airport or something like that. Rigs for loading dumps would have a longer chute. The twin chutes would make it faster. Snow only has to travel half the distance to reach the impellers. Two impellers mean twice the capacity to exhaust the snow.

Maybe mountain roads too. Would be cool to see it in action.

7. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

You're a guy that knows his snow blowers, it was bought for an airport and was suppose to be able to blow it 30-40 feet out each side while traveling at a reasonable ground speed for quick snow removal, chutes are adjustable. It's never been used, we're in Eastern,NC..

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A little deductive reasoning I guess, LOL.

My father plowed snow at our regional airport back in the 60s. Make a pass or two with the dumptruck and wing, then run the snowblower down through. They didn't have anything like this though. It would take a couple hours to clean a runway less than a mile long.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Looked on YouTube but couldn't find any twin chute blowers. Some pretty cool stuff. 600 HP loader mounted job. 8 foot swath through 4 feet of packed snow like nothing.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Tim the tool man will buy that blower. Wow never seen anything like it before,

11. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

Here's a picture of the blower from the backside. He said a standard 555 type loader will run it. It's all hydraulic, powered from the loader running it. He also has a snorkle fire truck from the airport too. It'd be good for "parts", it has two engines, a 8V-71 Detroit with a 6 speed Allison and a 6V-53 Detroit that runs a Water/Foam pump, both engines are really low miles/hours. It's in an OshKosh 4 wheel drive pusher type chassis with gear reduction axles.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu145/TheEquineFencer/Allensstuff011.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  12. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Does anyone know if there is a rule of thumb about how much horsepower you can transfer through a given size hydraulic hose? Say a 1 inch hose? Obviously the higher PSI and GPM, the more power.

14. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I don't know what a 555 type loader is (Ford 555 TLB?) but I don't think that the loader auxilary hydraulics could power that well enough. I was told that I can't power a 10 footer with my 3 yard loader hydraulics. You say it's a 16 footer. That will take huge amounts of horsepower to run. Here in CO the DOT has 10' blowers for blowing back the edges of the roads. They have them mounted to dedicated trucks. The truck has an engine that serves to drive the truck (like all trucks) and it has another engine mounted on the bed. The bed is completely covered with the engine and the related support equipment (hyd. tank, coolers, fuel tank, etc). From the size of it, I would guess that it has several hundred horsepower. You can't get that much from a loader (unless it carries a piggyback power source). The hydraulic supply lines look small to me also. Can't transfer big HP unless you are using big lines with large amounts of flow.

15. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

Please don't start picking me apart, I have no idea what you're talking about 16 foot wide, I guess it's growing like this thread. All I'm doing is telling you guys what he has, if you know the equipment so be it. You now know about as much as me if not more. If you want it let me know, if you want me to find out more I'll try, but what you see is what it is. I'm just passing along what I was told. I'll look over at his place the next time I'm over that way and see what loader he has. I know he said his loader could run it, he has a BIG rubber tired loader,with a lot of Hydraulic horsepower, 555 came to mind as a style of loader, not an exact size.

16. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

Here's a picture of the blower from the rear. My guess is the motors are not that big because it uses two and not one of them. It looks like you can swivel the nozzles from remotes to change directions. The blower drive also powers the augers from the same gear box from the way the pictures look.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu145/TheEquineFencer/Allensstuff010.jpg

17. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

The gap is there because each of the impeller bodies can rotate to throw the snow 90 degrees to the left or right without using the two chutes. Two of the cylinders do the rotating of the impeller bodies.

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, I kinda figured that out after looking at the close ups. Looks to be quite a unit, but I can't find anything on the manufacturer...