1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sno foil

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rmartin, Nov 1, 2003.

1. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

is a fishers snow foil recommended when plowing parking lots and driveways? Whats the benefit? whats the cons?
  2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Use the search feature as this has been covered in depth in the past.In general,if your plowing roads you'll like the way it throws the snow but you run into issues when stacking as the snow will fall on top of the foil and you will spill it were you just plowed.
  3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

For driveways you dont really need it as you are plowing very slow. But for parking lots i think its great.You can plow faster and get a lot less of snow coming up into your window.
  4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Have you looked into a rubber deflector at all? I think there are more guys who use the rubber deflector over the snofoil. I think the snofoil would be good though if you are just doing straight runs, like a parking lot or a small road, or even driveways, but what Arc Burn said can happen when you try stacking the snow. If you just plow the snow up to something and stop, I think you will be ok and not have snow accumalate on top of the plow and snofoil, then later fall off onto your cleanly plowed areas. Mike :)

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i think one of our members sell snow deflectors on e-bay

dont think i can give his name since hes not a sponsor

6. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I put a cheaper poly foil on mine. Got it from a local fisher dealer serves its purpose fine.I didnt like the rubber one because on the highway they tend to fly up in the air.
  7. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I think the metal deflectors work better in parking lots. Like stated above the foil tend to drop snow after stacking.
  8. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

both work fine and both have their own purpose. The snofoil is great for plowing roads and sort where you want to cast the snow. the rubber deflector will allow you to get a little closer to objects when backdragging and also will be more forgiving if you make an oops and hit something. Also they stack better as stated earlier foils sometimes cause snow to fall back.
  9. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I did a way with my sno-floil on my old straght blade, because I found in heavy snow conditions it would cause the blade to raise, particularly on parking lots if you were pushing with out the blade angled, it was great for light snow on drives or where you were plowing with the blade angled a lot, it does keep more snow off the windshield.

WOOFSPLOW Member

My last plow truck had the SnoFoil and it worked great - no snow in radiator, on hood or windshield. The truck I am using now has a 6'-9" LD blade. I just put the steel deflector on it - what a look! It raised the overall height of the blade by 6" and increased the angle at the top. Well worth the $100 and it took less than 1/2 hour to install. I would recommend if avail. the steel deflector of SnoFoil, I just see the rubber as cheap looking.:)

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i have the same problem
    do i put a rubber flap on my meyer c-8

or a snowfoil

meyer makes a nice rubber snowfoil
    but its $180 bucks

my other thought was fitting a fisher metal foil

still big money

12. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

I had a rubber deflector put on my C-8 by using a length of scrap conveyor belt. Conveyor belt cost me $10.
  13. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

That is the way to go with the conveyor belt good enough to keep the snow off the windshield but flexable enough to stack.If you get the snow foil you have to pull it back every time you have to stack.
  14. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

the rubber belting is the best way to go as far as parking lots are concerned, I would use a foil if I plowed roads for a living but for general use in lots and drives the rubber serves it's purpose and is less likely to get dinged and messed up while stacking.

15. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

the rubber works fine for roads we had them on the dumps that where plowing .